Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Amp wiring question, please help, I have no wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 04:56 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Quick Amp wiring question, please help, I have no wiring diagram

Just a quick question, since someone mickey moused the stereo on my 951 (prior to me owning it), the wiring is totally crapped out...I can figure most out, but in hooking up an amp, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to run the amp power lead from...anyone know which wire to vampire/T into from the stock wiring harness? Any help is greatly appreciated (and any beating administered to the person who installed this crap *** stereo is as well!)

Jason
Old 12-14-2002, 07:01 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

The power lead for an amp should run straight to the battery! It draws to much to wire it in with the radio cicuit.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:56 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

he's right, you if you've got an external power amp it should run straight to the battery. how many watts are we talking about? most likley you'll want to invest in some heavy cable designed for car amps.

here's a clever chart to help you pick the right size <a href="http://paudio.tripod.com/wiregauge.html" target="_blank">http://paudio.tripod.com/wiregauge.html</a>

remember watts=volts*amps, so divide the total wattage of your amplifier by 12 to estimate the amp load.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:45 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Depending on the wire gauge you need, you can go to wal-mart or radio shack and get a cable designed for car stereos. The one I have has a fuse built into it, which is always nice to have.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:27 PM
Tadi
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by mouse [CTY]:
<strong>Depending on the wire gauge you need, you can go to wal-mart or radio shack and get a cable designed for car stereos. The one I have has a fuse built into it, which is always nice to have.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd recommend Monster cabling. For the system I put in my Explorer I used some thick Monster cable for the power run to both of the amps. Forget the gauge...maybe 2-4...
Old 12-15-2002, 05:15 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

There are companies who sell the amp-wiring kits. Complete with the power/ground/fuse wires. I know for a fact fosgate sells them. To run the power wire to the battery, I'd put it through the opening in the firewall where the antenna power wire runs through...there is a small rubber piece that fills the hole. Directly on the otherside is the batt compartment.
-Robert D.

Quick Reply: Quick Amp wiring question, please help, I have no wiring diagram