Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letting go of the Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Willporsche944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Letting go of the Porsche

well looks like im gonna have to give up my beloved 944S im about to go to college and i cant keep spending my cash on these expensive parts, i need new clutch flywheel, and my tranny is kinda messed up. i have the money to fix but i need a reliable car, what do you guys think of the infiniti g20?

o yea how much do you think i could get for it, shes got a new timing chain, tensioner, water pump, new front seals, new slotted rotors and rebuilt calipers with mintex pads. runs good cept the drive train kinda sucks.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:06 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

An infiniti???? If you can't afford parts don't even go there. Infiniti's are up there with Porsches in terms of parts prices. Oh dear...
Old 05-21-2003, 09:18 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Infiniti's = Not Cheap Maint.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:29 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well take the excellence value of your car...and substract $1300ish...

What exactly is wrong with the tranny?

--adrial
Old 05-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Geo
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Willporsche944:
<strong>i have the money to fix but i need a reliable car, what do you guys think of the infiniti g20?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Wonderful car. Great handling car - especially the P10 (91-96). It has a modified wishbone suspension up front with independent rear suspension (P10 - the P11 has a log). Four wheel disc brakes that are quite good. Do not get a slushbox unless you like driving slowly. The manual gearbox is pretty good however. Fifth is a little taller than the SE-R but that makes more comfortable freeway cruising.

I had a 1991 G20 that was well modded with coilovers, 17" wheels/tires, and a factory turbo engine. It was an incredible sleeper. There are not as many mods available for it as the SE-R, but since the engines are the same, there are plenty of good engine mods. Not as many as a Honduh, but unlike the Honduhs, they are nearly all high quality (lots of crap being pawned off on Honduh guys).

After I got my G20 and reported to the SE-R guys what a great handling car the G20 is, several have purchased one and every single one agrees with me and loves their G20. I cannot say enough about the car and especially its handling. The only reason I didn't buy another one is now that I have the race car, I'm tired of project cars (the race car is enough of a project) and bought a 2000 BMW 328i with sport and premium packages with leather, sunroof, and xenons.

I can give you whatever other information you may require. If you are interested in getting more information, visit G20.net and look over the forums. They are pretty good. There are some ricers there, but you'll also find a surprising number of serious enthusiasts and a few really knowledgable ones. Tell folks I told you to introduce yourself (my nickname is Geo there as well). I'm an admin there and they know me well, although I don't visit much anymore.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by brrt50cal:
<strong>An infiniti???? If you can't afford parts don't even go there. Infiniti's are up there with Porsches in terms of parts prices. Oh dear...
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by brrt50cal:
<strong>Infiniti's = Not Cheap Maint.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Not true. I speak from experience. Yes, if you go to a dealer you'll pay through the nose like any other car. As for parts, you need to know where to buy. I get 25% off and usually free shipping. Also, for engine stuff, since it's the same as the Sentra SE-R I have two other dealers to go to who also give me 25% off (and will also for others).

The Infiniti is cheap to keep. I put almost nothing into mine over 91k miles.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:42 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Geo, where do you buy your SE-R parts. My brother has a 93 Sentra SE-R and when he replaced the power steering hose the cheapest one he could find was something like $150. TIA
Old 05-22-2003, 01:26 AM
Geo
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ahofam123:
<strong>Geo, where do you buy your SE-R parts. My brother has a 93 Sentra SE-R and when he replaced the power steering hose the cheapest one he could find was something like $150. TIA</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Courtesy Nissan in Dallas
(800) 527-1909
<a href="http://www.courtesyparts.com/" target="_blank">http://www.courtesyparts.com/</a>

They are my first choice. I used to know all the guys there, but there are too many new faces in the last year.

Mossy Nissan in Oceanside, CA
(866) 556-6779
Ask for Greg Vogel and tell him I told you to call
<a href="http://www.mossyperformance.com/mossy.html" target="_blank">http://www.mossyperformance.com/mossy.html</a>

For Infiniti parts:
Scottsdale Infiniti
(888) 216-5328
<a href="http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/Default2.asp" target="_blank">http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/Default2.asp</a>

Those PS high pressure hoses are expensive. That's probably pretty near what I had to pay a few years back.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:28 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Thanks Geo
Old 05-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Willporsche944
Instructor

thx for the advice, geo. even if the parts were as expencive it would still be more reliable, my porsche as something wrong every damn week. thats what i get when i buy a 20 year old car.

Quick Reply: Letting go of the Porsche