Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:38 PM
harleyx2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket oil pressure gauge

What will happen with the oil pressure gauge on my dash and the low oil level light if I take the oil sending unit off and install a aftermarket oil pressure gauge? Will the oil pressure gauge stay pegged and will the check engine oil light stay on?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
harleyx2
Track Day

anyone?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:01 AM
speedtek
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually it is a dual sending unit. One side is for the gauge (VDO spec) and the other side is the warning light. If you want the warning light to work you will need to use a "T" and buy a low oil pressure warning light switch for a VW Bug or Early Rabbit depending on what thread you need. I forget what the 944 uses.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would leave the OEM stuff alone/in there/working, and get a spin on adapter for the oil filter and run your own wiring/sensor. that way you have two... and the cluster doesn't look dead.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Couldn't you go ahead and unplug it and see what happens?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Buy a sandwich plate and use both factory & aftermarket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-911-928-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-18-2008, 07:27 PM
harleyx2
Track Day

If nothing holds that sandwich plate to the oil filter housing thats probably a disaster waiting to happen. Why does everyone wanna leave the factory stuff hooked up when it works like crap and is so unreliable? An aftermarket mechanical gauge dont lie. That means less headache and hopefully a longer lasting engine because you dont have to wonder if the factory gauge is messed up or you really do have an oiling issue.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:49 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harleyx2
If nothing holds that sandwich plate to the oil filter housing thats probably a disaster waiting to happen.
?????????????
Old 07-18-2008, 09:01 PM
harleyx2
Track Day

What Im saying is that evrytime you change your filter that gasket is gonna be loosened up and then retightened when you put a new filter on. I think something like that should somehow bolt on so that the gasket is not always interupted when changing oil filters. Oil filter gaskets like on the sandwich plate are not designed to be reused and re torqued or tightened all the time.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:00 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

What Im saying is that evrytime you change your filter that gasket is gonna be loosened up and then retightened when you put a new filter on. I think something like that should somehow bolt on so that the gasket is not always interupted when changing oil filters. Oil filter gaskets like on the sandwich plate are not designed to be reused and re torqued or tightened all the time.
Looks like the center fitting holds it on. Can someone confirm?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:08 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Yes, it is held in place by a fitting through the center.

The gasket is placed between the housing and the plate, NOT the plate & filter!

I've done 6 oil/filter changes since I installed mine, no problems at all.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:56 PM
harleyx2
Track Day

will this sandwich plate give a good oil pressure reading since it is not reading from a factory location? I know most engines are designed to read oil pressure from a certain location.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:48 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

If nothing holds that sandwich plate to the oil filter housing thats probably a disaster waiting to happen. Why does everyone wanna leave the factory stuff hooked up when it works like crap and is so unreliable? An aftermarket mechanical gauge dont lie. That means less headache and hopefully a longer lasting engine because you dont have to wonder if the factory gauge is messed up or you really do have an oiling issue.
Umm mehcanical guage? if you have a sender, then its an electronic gauge. Unless you install a mechanical gauge under the hood, I can't think of a way to hook one up short of running an oil line up to the dash, and that's just not really a good idea if you ask me

As long as the factory parts are in good condition (eg relatively new), they're fairly reliable - I don't know that adding aftermarket parts would necessarily improve things much nuless you were adding some sort of data logging and analysis
Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have an aftermarket Autometer gauge. I just used a metric adapter/npt (like this: http://www.autometerdirect.com/produ...?productid=611) for the AutoMeter sender. With the adapter, the sender sits a little close to the frame rail. However, you can mount the sender remotely (with oil line) anywhere under the hood. Michael
Old 07-20-2008, 10:24 AM
harleyx2
Track Day

Originally Posted by white924s
Umm mehcanical guage? if you have a sender, then its an electronic gauge. Unless you install a mechanical gauge under the hood, I can't think of a way to hook one up short of running an oil line up to the dash, and that's just not really a good idea if you ask me

As long as the factory parts are in good condition (eg relatively new), they're fairly reliable - I don't know that adding aftermarket parts would necessarily improve things much nuless you were adding some sort of data logging and analysis
No Im saying the aftermarket gauge is mechanical not the factory one. Oil line running behind the dash is no big deal. Anyone with a race car is using one of these. You dont think they are using that old twitchy gauge do you? You dont have to use that plastic line behind the dash. You can get a braided steel one.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket oil pressure gauge