Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt roller replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing Belt roller replacement question

So, I know my belts are about ready to be replaced. The last belt job (right after the car was purchased) saw everything done - belts, rollers, WP, everything. Do you guys normally replace the rollers every other belt change, or do you always replace the rollers when the belts are replaced?

Based on my reading at Clark's, it says "inspect and replace if necessary," which tells me that maybe every other time is fine, but I wanted to check the collective RL brain.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I "inspect and replace as necessary". I think every other belt is fine, but give them all a spin when you do this belt.

If it sounds like an old, dried out roller skate wheel, then its time for a new one.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
I "inspect and replace as necessary". I think every other belt is fine, but give them all a spin when you do this belt.

If it sounds like an old, dried out roller skate wheel, then its time for a new one.
Would suck to have it apart and not have the rollers, though. Maybe I'll just grab everything and see what things are like for next time.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:10 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

yeah....They don't go bad sittin on the shelf...like milk do
Old 07-16-2008, 10:39 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually they can. If you are going to store them, make sure to put them in sealed air-tight bags or moisture will rust them up sum' fierce. Just today I found a box with brand new spare rollers, and they feel good and fresh but they are covered in rust... It doesn't help that I live in San Fogcisco, where moisture isn't part of the forecast, it is the forecast.

I think in general every other belt is appropriate but I do them with every belt; I see it as cheap insurance. Give them a spin and if you hear or feel any roughness or looseness, it's bad.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, thats the differenct in location

I'm in Las Vegas. Cars in the junk yard don't even rust here
Old 07-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are ya feeling lucky?....

Honestly, if you pay attention to the sounds coming from under the hood, you will very likely hear a bad bearing before it grenades. It's also pretty easy to hear a 'dry' one using one of those mechanic's stethoscopes on the bolt/nut that locks each roller (front belt covers off, idling).
Old 07-17-2008, 01:59 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time. Cheap insurance to me. Mine were done 35k previous to this last time I did it, and I changed them regardless. 1 was slightly making noise, another was pretty worn out.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Jack Cheetham
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have adjusted my new belts by feel and the 90 degree method, tight and loose at least 5 different tensions and observed them while reving motor etc for flopping and cannot get rid of the #$@*belt whirrrr noise that I think is excessive. Rollers and balance idler are perfect. The crank shaft cogg looks to be rounded off a bit so is this something that should be replaced and would it quiet this annoying whirr down? Engine is great but has 160K miles on it.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:36 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
Yeah, thats the differenct in location

I'm in Las Vegas. Cars in the junk yard don't even rust here
LOL
Originally Posted by Jack Cheetham
So I have adjusted my new belts by feel and the 90 degree method, tight and loose at least 5 different tensions and observed them while reving motor etc for flopping and cannot get rid of the #$@*belt whirrrr noise that I think is excessive. Rollers and balance idler are perfect. The crank shaft cogg looks to be rounded off a bit so is this something that should be replaced and would it quiet this annoying whirr down? Engine is great but has 160K miles on it.
Belt whine is from overtightened belts... actually the spec tightness will make it whine. So I just make my BS belt looser than spec but still tight enough to stay on there, and the whine is all but gone.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:06 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry Jack. I've adjusted my belts half a dozen times and the whine never goes away.

I just drive it harder so I can't hear them!
Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwank
Don't worry Jack. I've adjusted my belts half a dozen times and the whine never goes away.

I just drive it harder so I can't hear them!
Does that thing have a hemi?

Quick Reply: Timing Belt roller replacement question