Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical clicking sound from below the glovebox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark, you need to pull the temperature control dial (right) and sliding tabs off the climate control unit, and remove the facia cover. Note: the fan **** does NOT need to come off to do this.

Next, there are 4 phillips screws, 2 on each side of the unit that you must remove. Then gently pull off the clear plastic lighting panel and you will be able to make the control unit slide out of the dash. It has 3 connectors. A square one and 2 rectangular ones. DON'T take the connectors apart, but rather gently pry them off the unit with a flathead screwdriver. Look for any dirty spots on the contacts and if they look okay, simply reattach the 3 connectors and reinstall the unit. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:21 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you, thank you

everytime I feel like I can spend my money on stuff to make my car look/drive better....something breaks LOL.

Oh well..the JOYS of Porsche
Old 07-19-2008, 12:04 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

KA-BUMP
Old 07-20-2008, 01:41 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned above.
First pluck the vent switch's(little footballs with arrows-pull straight towards you to remove-again be careful as the little clips inside love to break),Pluck the center Climate control cover. Pry from the left side, right side, top and bottom. Take your time and be careful. This piece loves to break. Now you have four screws. Take your time here as well because this piece is probably already cracked. But once you remove the four screws gently grab the area between the vent controls and pull directly out. Now look down from the top, you will see two plugs. Disconnect...this can take a little effort if it has never been pulled before. Now you have the climate control out. You can see the black box on the back, this takes a little effort to separate from the front clear section which is what the circuit boards are connected to. Once removed you can pretty much see everything you need to see....or smell. The smell is pretty strong on the burned out units. Like I said the older units, like what you probably have in yours are stacked boards waiting to cook. That was the first one I encountered as you can see in my link with the big picture. The later ones, are a lot more forgiving. Hope this helped.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Now look down from the top, you will see two plugs. Disconnect...this can take a little effort if it has never been pulled before. Now you have the climate control out.
Actually it's 3 plugs: a small square one on the left and 2 larger rectangular ones on the right.

It's important to just pry the plugs away from the control unit with a screwdriver or similar tool without taking the plug covers off or the plugs will come apart and the contacts inside can get mixed up.

Quick Reply: Electrical clicking sound from below the glovebox?