Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top end rebuild... PICS and couple of Qs

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008 | 10:46 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Default Top end rebuild... PICS and couple of Qs

So I started to tear down the top end of my '86 to deal with bent valves and what not. So far I got the intake off, the belts removed and I'm working my way towards the valve cover and the head itself.

Couple of questions :

1) To get the cam housing off, i just need to remove all the hex bits that are by the header and inside (going through the goofy wide bolts).. right?

2)I seem to have a missing vacuum line somewhere - I found it sitting on the block half melted. I've got two 90 degree bends near the firewall and 2 empty nipples (PICTURE 1)... I'm guessing they belong to the nipples but I have no idea where the long vacuum line (purple thing on PICTURE 2) is supposed to go.

3)Do I need to take off the inner timing belt cover plastic to get to the water pump? I don't see how I'm supposed to get it out with the plastic being there...

Last edited by halik; 07-15-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2008 | 11:13 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

to remove the water pump yes you should pull the inner cover- which will require removing most the rollers, tensioners and lower pulley on the crank-which is very tight.

-yes remove the cambox lower bolts and the six? under the large 8mm alan caps and it'll come off.

- do a search for n/a vacuum lines- there are lots of diagrams floating around on here that are very handy. Ive printed most of them out and have them hanging on my garage wall. i pretty much rip all the vac. lines out and follow the diagrams each time to put stuff back correctly.
Old 07-15-2008 | 11:18 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

That long vacuum line should go from the damper and fuel pressure regulator to the throttle body. With a T connector
As far as I can tell from your picture anyway....
Old 07-15-2008 | 11:26 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Calmchaos
That long vacuum line should go from the damper and fuel pressure regulator to the throttle body. With a T connector
As far as I can tell from your picture anyway....
No that one is intact (the one that goes from the throttle body to a T and one end of that T goes to fuel rail and Ts to the FPRs). There was a another one that was sitting there exactly as I drew it.
Old 07-15-2008 | 11:33 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

No other vacuum line runs there. On my car at least.
Strange.
Old 07-16-2008 | 12:01 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xsboost90
to remove the water pump yes you should pull the inner cover- which will require removing most the rollers, tensioners and lower pulley on the crank-which is very tight.

-yes remove the cambox lower bolts and the six? under the large 8mm alan caps and it'll come off.

- do a search for n/a vacuum lines- there are lots of diagrams floating around on here that are very handy. Ive printed most of them out and have them hanging on my garage wall. i pretty much rip all the vac. lines out and follow the diagrams each time to put stuff back correctly.
Heh there is about NO EFFIN WAY I'm wasting my time removing the crank pulley to get the plastic out of the way. I'm getting that plastic thing off one way or another...
Old 07-16-2008 | 12:52 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Calmchaos
No other vacuum line runs there. On my car at least.
Strange.
Figured it out - the one that's messed up goes between G and B on the pic below. That it it goes from that temperature valve (form PICTURE 1 in the first post) to the throttle body

Quick Reply: Top end rebuild... PICS and couple of Qs