Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Track 944 S2 project **UPDATED 7/20/08**

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great Chad. Just keep reminding yourself that this is the worst it gets, and once the goo has been removed and the interior is painted and goes a lot easier from there.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Looks great Chad. Just keep reminding yourself that this is the worst it gets, and once the goo has been removed and the interior is painted and goes a lot easier from there.
Thanks bud!

Man...I hope so. Dealing with the "GOO" has been a PITA!!! Can't wait to start actually working on the mechanicals.

C.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Default UPDATE - 08/15/08 - the mods begin

The interior is coming along nicely. Since I am going to be shooting for a custom roll bar, I will need to leave the primer in place and get ready for the welding.

I think I am going with J3 Motorsports for the roll bar. Good guys that have never steered me wrong yet. I have seen some of the work they have done to other 944's. Very nice. Can't wait for mine.

Today's Project - Interior Door skins:

I decided to skin the interior portion of the doors with .032" Aluminum sheeting. I was thinking about a Polystyrene plastic called "Sintra", but the material was to thick in it's thinnest available version. Aluminum wins.

1st thing I did was buy a ratty set of OE door skins. I then removed the bottom vinyl and cut the cardboard (yep...cardboard.) .75" below the upper.

Then, using the lower portion as a guide, I traced out the edges and the latch hole. It took me a bit to figure out how make the two pieces mate up together properly. Cutting the aluminum by hand was a total PITA.

I also matched up the press fitting holes and drilled a few more to match accordingly. To make the aluminum fit properly, I purchased 22 of the 996 Carrera's screw / press rivets. Not only do they work great, they look great too!

I REALLY like the outcome. Here is the door in its final state.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, those are pretty cool. I like the look!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:03 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Dry Ice Method - You pour a pile of dry ice on the floor pan. The sound deadening tar and glue freeze hard. then you pound it with a hammer and it cracks clean of the pan in sheets.

That's the theory anyway...I have only ever seen it on the internet.
I have done the Dry Ice meathod many times, it works well on older cars, newer cars it doesn't seem to break up quite as well. Should be fine on the S2, just before of the cautions dealing with dry ice, use gloves, watch the fumes - not to be done in a closed area. Most local grocery stores carry dry ice, also some ice cream stores, Baskin Robbins and most Randalls and Kroger grocery here in Texas.
Usually $1.00 per pound , start with 10 pounds and you should have enough to do it as long as you don't just let it sit out and melt.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chad.
Are you removing the electric windows.?? Seems a shame to do ALL this work + forget the window motors..
You can replace them with manual winders...
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Moook
Chad.
Are you removing the electric windows.?? Seems a shame to do ALL this work + forget the window motors..
You can replace them with manual winders...
I'd sure like to. But finding manual winders is a pain. Unless someone out there has a set?

C.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
I'd sure like to. But finding manual winders is a pain. Unless someone out there has a set?

C.
Why keep them at all? Get J3 to build NASCAR bars that extend in to the door, and remove the regulators. If you want to keep the windows for storage/transport, have them fab an alumninum bracket that attaches to the bottom of the window. The bracket will be an L shape and the bottom will rest on the OEM door support beam. Thats what I did for my car, and you have 3 choices for the windows. Up, about half way down with the bracket resting on the bottom of the door, or totally removed from the car. I can take some pics if youd like, but the setup works great!

If you want manual windows, Ill see if I can figure out how to remove the regulator from dented door I have. It has a manual window regulator, youll just need to find a window crank from an A1 VW rabbit/jetta/scirocco which should cost about $5. I only have one though, but you can have it for the cost of shipping if I can remove it.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also Deutschnine (spelling?) makes some lexan side windows with slider vents in them.

http://www.deutschnine.com/mm5/merch...-aero-dynamics
Old 08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996

C.

www.paragon-products.com has all of the parts needed to convert.

Quick Reply: The Track 944 S2 project **UPDATED 7/20/08**