Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Track 944 S2 project **UPDATED 7/20/08**

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of that rubber **** will come off in large pieces. You'll feel like a hero. That will change when you realize the stuff that under it can/should come off too and it's really on there. Those rubber mats go way up the firewall.
Attached Images    
Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

^^^That's what my car looks like as of now. That stuff is easy to remove; just takes a bit of time.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
DanR
Drifting

I remember those scenes well!!!! worth it when it is finished!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
A lot of that rubber **** will come off in large pieces. You'll feel like a hero. That will change when you realize the stuff that under it can/should come off too and it's really on there. Those rubber mats go way up the firewall.

Mine now looks the very same as of tonight. And man...I am whooped. But in a good way.

I can't believe how heavy all that stuff really is. Unreal. I must have pulled out a 100# of crap already. Can't wait to weight the car when I finally get her going.

Xylene...here I come. (ugh.)

C.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Default Xylene and all its goodness...

First a couple things. Xylene is N-A-S-T-Y stuff. Period. I HIGHLY suggest using a respirator with this stuff. I have the 3M Organic Canister based respirator. Works great and costs about $20 or so.

A couple of observations when using Xylene:

-Use gloves and eye protection.
-The longer you can leave this on, the better the results.
-After 1.5 hours of time soaking the tar pads came off in big chunks.
-To soak, place an old towel or numerous layers of paper towel over the floor sections / tar pads. Pour on gratuitous amounts of Xylene and let soak.
- For better results, score the pads with a razor knife by creating a crisscrossing pattern. This allows the Xylene to soak in a little more quickly.
-You'll be amazed at how fast the Xylene begins to break down the tar pad.

Here are my results thus far:

Old 07-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Chad - It was great to meet you the other day - thanks for the foglamp and batwing. Best of luck on your project.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Josh B
Hey Chad - It was great to meet you the other day - thanks for the foglamp and batwing. Best of luck on your project.
Thanks Josh, likewise my friend.

On another note, do you guys happen to have a driver's side turbo front fender? I found some body rust and a repair tied to it.

C.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a guards red one - Pretty good shape but not perfect. I am in Norcross if you wanted to drop by and take a look at it sometime. Hard to pickup the imperfections on camera..... Only looking for $125 on it.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Default UPDATE: 07/23/08

The Track S2 project continues on. I have now established an organization of the work. I had too. The thought of all the items to do was getting almost overwhelming. Sooo...the car is officially in:

Phase I:Interior – remove, repair, replace, prep and paint – organize wiring

Phase II: Interior – Seats, wheel, electrical, roll bar, harnesses

Recent developments:

I found rust in two spots. The first being inside the driver's foot well on the larger floor plug. Looks like I need to do some extra sanding and prep before paint. The other area is not so much fun. Driver's side front fender...at the bottom of the wheel well. Ugh. After some sanding, I determined that the back of the fender is rotted. Sucks. Now I need a new fender. A fix is possible, but for how long? On top of that, I found a previous fix of green body filler in that location. This is a festering headache that needs to be taken care of.

On a happier note, I have already started to collect the parts I need for Phase II. Seats came in today:

Sparco Evo 2 Plus! Thank you to Stacey at OGRacing.com (no affil). OG has taken good care of me over the years and have great prices and ALWAYS awesome service. I highly recommend them. (4 out of 5 stars)

Notes on the Evo 2 Plus - This seat is FANTASTIC! I am 6'6" and fit BEAUTIFULLY in it. The "plus" is the way Sparco extended the back to accomodate taller drivers. And they did it perfectly! I fit great. Big thumbs up! Highly recommended for people like me with long torsos.

In addition, I added a MOMO Tuner Steering wheel to the list. Originally I wanted the Competition, but I remembered putting this wheel on my old BMW E36 M3 and loved it. Not to mention, I had an old (10yrs+) MOMO Porsche horn button waiting for the right car.

I usually buy my MOMO goods from Pelican Parts (no affil). they have some of the best prices online for this stuff. But for some reason, their stock of steering wheels was rather low and the one I wanted was on backorder. So, I hunted around and found one on the east coast.

More to come. Stay tuned.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Chad, where you at the track event down in taladega a few months ago and having brake issues. If so, good to meet you there and awesome project.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Yep...early May or so? I had the 996 at the time. My apologies, you'll have to refresh my memory.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:55 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep thats you, I had the black 944 Turbo.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you weighed what came out of the interior??
Old 08-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Default Update - 08/09/08

The teardown continues. Glue and sound deadening material is still coming out (ugh!).

Progress is being made. The only real stumbles have the fact I keep finding little "additions" by the PO. Rrrrrrrr.

So far, the entire interior has been removed and I debating about recovering the dash with alcantara. Anyone have a good source for fabric recovers online?

Seats are ready to go as well as the steering wheel. Next up - prime & paint the interior metal.

More to come. Stay tuned. Mechanicals up next.

C.

Last edited by Chads996; 08-09-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Default Update - 08/10/08 - Priming begins

As I work feverishly to get the metal ready for primer. I found an old spray can of "Goof Off" in the basement. Thinking "ah, what the hell" I brought it to the car and sprayed a section. WOW! What a result. It practically melted the goo instantly. Now I feel like an idiot because one of you mentioned this to me back when I started. So for that - thank you. I owe you a beer.

Next up - I crawl into the car backwards with my head in the passenger footwell chasing wiring from things I have eliminated. Mostly speakers, seating and the PO's ridiculous "added" electrical items (see CHEAP CRAP). Things such as - an electronic temp gauge, a passenger side footwell light, the wired LED white gauge covers...a more. Frustrating to say the least. Just when I think I am getting somewhere with the wiring, I find something else.

GOOD NEWS! The passenger side is 90% complete with the primer applied. I know there is still some places to clean up. But I decided to use a self-etching sandable primer. Once applied it will really help me to clean up the smaller areas. I will be buying some paint from PaintScratch.com or similar to help in matching. Rattle application is fine for this. I'll touch up the various areas as needed. So far so good.

Getting there. Slowly...but really beginning to see the progress. Now.

Next items: Finish driver's side, prime, paint and install seats. More to come. Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: The Track 944 S2 project **UPDATED 7/20/08**