Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Getting a motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003 | 01:02 AM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

Post OT: Getting a motorcycle

well, I decided to get a motorcycle....waiting for them to find the right one....but from now till then, I'm going to hear it from everyone about the topic of the dangers of riding a motorcycle......

personally, I see motorcycle dangerous to ride, but not that much more then driving in a car, going hunting, being in the military, etc...I don't get what the big deal is....

and also, everyone tells me 1 piece of gravel will cause you to go out of control around the turn if you hit it....is this true? I really dont see 1 piece of gravel throwing the bike out of control if you hit it...doesnt seem right when I think about it...

space
Old 06-17-2003 | 01:09 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm sure it's all in how you drive it.

Yesterday afternoon a bone headed kid going 160km/hr smoked the rear of a half ton truck. This was in a 50km/hr zone. He's in hospital in bad shape.

Drive smart and careful when you get it.
Old 06-17-2003 | 01:11 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not too worried about gravel, though it can throw you on your *** (ask my friend who was a first responder up in the mountains of north Georgia) What alway freaked my out were the groves they scraped in the road surface when they are getting ready to put down new asphalt. That and all the slippery **** cars seem to drip at toll booths.
Old 06-17-2003 | 01:12 AM
MM951
Race Director

TAKE THE MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE!!!
Old 06-17-2003 | 01:49 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

MSF course and ALL the proper saftey equipment. I'm sure Brian McCoy will have some good words on this one.
Old 06-17-2003 | 04:28 AM
sweanders
Race Director

I'd love to get a bike. But I don't dare to.

I have crashed in a car in 100 km/h and only hurt my knee. I would have been dead if I lost control on a bike in the same speed.
Old 06-17-2003 | 04:33 AM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

what kind of bike are you getting?
Old 06-17-2003 | 05:10 AM
osu944
Instructor

my uncle lost 45% of his skin due to a motorcycle accident. my cousin busted his kidney and liver on a bike, well i guess it was off the bike cuz he smacked the side of a big rig. the guy decided it was late enough to disobey the law and make a u turn in the middle of the street. he just didn't see my cousin in a all yellow suit, on a yellow bike. my cousin hit the brakes, felt the rear get loose, let off, and prepared for the worse. he actually walked the bike home after telling the driver he was ok. came home pissing blood so we rushed him to the hospital. i've got a lot of motorcycle accident stories. funny thing is all of them are in my family, and yet i'm still looking at this suzuki 600...
Old 06-17-2003 | 05:33 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

someone buy my white 944 so i can buy a bike too!

my girlfriend's dad has a really nice honda cbr f4i he wants to hook me up with.
Old 06-17-2003 | 06:29 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Ridng a bike safely is no problem. It's all about three things:

1. TRAINING. If you get the right training, and stick to it, you'll be fine!

2. STICKING TO IT. it's so temping to sit on a GSX-R 1000, and not have a play. Experience, and extended training will let you know how far you can push it, without taking stupid risks.

3. ASSUMPTIONS. as in driving anything these days, assume the other guy is an idiot. I would expect the majority of M/C accidents are caused by car drivers (although I don't know that.....). They're in their little air-conned space without a care in the world, and don't notice the 'leather-wearing-hells-angel-type-speed-freak' as they pull out! without car drivers on the road, the no. of accidents to M/S's would drop significantly!
Old 06-17-2003 | 08:19 AM
Predator
Pro

My Valkery is for sale. Maxed out with all the good stuff, Cobra, HondaLine, Mustang, etc. No expense spared. 23K, adult rider. 0-60 in 3.6 secs, 0-100 in 9.2 secs is what the factory claims. Black and chrome. $10k
Old 06-17-2003 | 09:12 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

The whole gravel bit is not true. Do you think there would even be any motorcyclists left if it was? I think the trick is to never ride the bike at 100% on the street. Heck, I rarely push it to 90% on the street. There's just too many unpredicatble things out there that you need to keep a good reserve of braking/handling/power in case you need to quickly avaid a bad situation. My father put it best once, he said "Always be prepared that in the middle of every corner at the worst possible time a refridgerator will be there." The trick is being able to avoid it.

Mike is correct able cars being the biggest cause of motorcycle accidents. I believe the biggest accident is a car turning left infront of an oncoming bike because they didn't even see them. I basically assume that everyone is out to kill me and I must take appropriate action to avoid them.

SHAMELESS PLUG: My friend is selling a bike as well. A 97 Suzuki GSF600 Bandit. It's a great starter bike. I bought it used in 2000 and road it for a year after which I sold it to my friend who now rides it. He's going to buy my current bike this summer so he needs to get rid of his. It was dropped last year by him and still has some minor damage. There's a dent in the tank from where the handlebar hit it and the front right half-fairing is scraped up. The rest of the damage we fixed and he has ridden the bike since. He's asking $2000. Email me if you're interested and I can get you pics.
Old 06-17-2003 | 09:18 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

The whole gravel thing IS true if you hit it while in a fast corner, although one piece is unlikely to do much. Sand is probably worse.
Old 06-17-2003 | 09:21 AM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Dan Gallagher:
<strong>someone buy my white 944 so i can buy a bike too!

my girlfriend's dad has a really nice honda cbr f4i he wants to hook me up with.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Nice engine on those CBR's especially the f4i. I never seemed to be the type to own one, but I have been playing around with the idea. From my experience with the Formula SAE cars, 600cc is plenty.

My list:
Yamaha YZF600 or R6
Honda CBR600 (any)
Suzuki GSX R600 or Katana 600

Just the sounds from these things make my spine tingle.
Old 06-17-2003 | 11:22 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Peckster:
<strong>The whole gravel thing IS true if you hit it while in a fast corner, although one piece is unlikely to do much. Sand is probably worse.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">My apologies for being unclear. By "whole gravel thing" I meant "everyone tells me 1 piece of gravel will cause you to go out of control around the turn if you hit it". I didn't mean to sound like you can never loose control because of gravel. Just that motorcycles are stable enough to deal with these and other road hazards in the hands of an semi-experienced rider.

Quick Reply: OT: Getting a motorcycle