Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK guys what would you do? Yes 944 specific

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
i was hoping the paint on the bolts would stay factory and un cracked.
Aww, come on! It's just a car.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a tough one Tom.

I absolutely cannot stand dealing with body shops. Seems the only way to get a good deal on body work is to know someone who knows someone, etc.

They always freak out about rust work. Seems pretty chicken**** to me. I'd agree with the comments on replacing the fenders. Considering our bodies are galvanized, my guess is most body shops won't replace the offending areas with galvanized panels. Next thing you know, you're rusting out worse than an old toyota.

Sell the car (might have to drop the price). Once it's out of your sight, you'll feel better.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom

I am not sure why you'd worry about replacing the fenders but be ok with performing body work. I would think that from a 'concours' perspective it's better to have replaced the fenders than have bondo in the car!

To me it would be a no brainer that if I could replace the offending part with another factory part easily, that would be the way to go.

I think deep down...you really just want another car....so go for it! (but you'll miss the s2 !)

best

Joe
Old 07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

i would rather not replace the fenders because if i do replace them with non red the color match will bug me more thatn the two inches of rust.

then if i replace them with red and want to sell the car, it will raise unnecessary questions about whether the front end was hit.

since it is a weekend toy, i think it will take a few lifetimes before it rusts again without galvanized metal so im not too worried about that.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

What rust? Am I blind, or is it that little bit at the very bottom of the underside of the trailing edge of the fender?

If that's it - that should be repairable in less than a day. You need to find a body shop that knows what they are doing. That may be difficult - but it's not impossible. Either that or send the two fenders to Xsboost. (j/k on the last bit).

The car looks great. I must be missing something, as I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 07-09-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: I kant speel
Old 07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

^+1 I didn't see it. It should be a very easy fix. Don't let it get under your skin!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since it is a weekend toy, i think it will take a few lifetimes before it rusts again without galvanized metal so im not too worried about that.
missed that part. Also too, cars don't rust in Colorado. No salt on the roads and it's dry. So yeah, ignore my rust comment.

If all you're trying to do is make it look better in order to sell it, I'd say you're on the right track by doing it yourself. I know you'll be honest about it with any buyer. You'll be able to ask more (proportionally) for it with the blemish fixed than without it fixed.

Or if you keep it, you won't have that ugly wart staring at you every time you walk by the car. Then again, you could always just approach your car from the opposite side.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
What rust? Am I blind, or is it that little bit at the very bottom of the underside of the trailing edge of the fender?

If that's it - that should be rapairable in less than a day. You need to find a body shop that knows what they are doing. That may be difficult - but it's not impossible. Either that or send the two fenders to Xsboost. (j/k on the last bit).

The car looks great. I must be missing something, as I don't see what all the fuss is about.
I saw the work Dan (XS) did on petes blue S2 a few years ago and was very impressed. i dont need work done to that level, and I think his skills only got better in the last 5years. the rust on my car is a joke. It should take a day to do.

if i was closer to cinci, you can bet i would be at dan's with a case and a helping hand.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I saw the work Dan (XS) did on petes blue S2 a few years ago and was very impressed. i dont need work done to that level, and I think his skills only got better in the last 5years. the rust on my car is a joke. It should take a day to do.

if i was closer to cinci, you can bet i would be at dan's with a case and a helping hand.
I hear you. I can't believe the work Danny does on these cars. I want to be just like him when I grow up.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:44 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Tom, I went to stuttgart auto body in englewood for a new plastic front valence for my car (insurance job). They did a nice job, but I'm guessing they will charge way too much for your miniscule rust spots.

Sell it and get a used C5?
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Quick Reply: OK guys what would you do? Yes 944 specific