Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure woes....help.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002 | 07:16 PM
Bejbis
4th Gear

Post oil pressure woes....help.....

aiight guys, heres the problem, ive got a 86 944 n/a and its been sitting in the back yard for a while cause i was too lazy to fix it, about 8ish
months.....and i recentley fixed it, cranked it up, and when i did it had like 1bar of oil pessure....and then i drove it around cause thats about how much it usually had at idle, and when i drove it it only went to about 2 bar, it used to go to like 4ish. what you guys think??? maybe a bad pressure sensor? or what, where exactly is it located? how could i test it?

thanks
Daniel
Old 11-04-2002 | 11:32 PM
Bejbis
4th Gear

anyone?
Old 11-05-2002 | 12:44 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

When the car was broken did it have a no start condition where you were cranking the starter motor for a while? If so, then you may have gotten an excess amount of fuel that mixed in with the oil. This would make the oil very thin therefore lowering the oil pressure. If this may be the case, you should check the oil level to see if it is way over the full line. Change the oil and filter.
Old 11-05-2002 | 03:32 PM
edd1em
Advanced

Recently I changed the oil and filter on my 83 944 na. When I did, the oil pressure was very low. A week later I had to for some reason take the filter off, seeing as how I overtightened it in the first place, i had to poke a hole in it to get it off, ruining the filter. I got a STP filter from autozone and ever since then my pressure is at 5 at startup and 2.5 to 3.5 during idle after it warms up.
Old 11-05-2002 | 03:33 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

the only other thing i could think of would be stuck oil pressure releif valve... good luck!
-mike
Old 11-05-2002 | 05:26 PM
Incendier
Rennlist Member

Hey: prowling around and I've dealt with this before.

First, I'd remove and clean (if possible) the pressure sender. They're notoriously inaccurate and the accumulation of contaminants will definitely take them down. BTW, never ever rely on the gauge for an accurate reading, only to monitor for drastic changes, as you did.

If it's like the 928 sender, it can be disassembled and cleaned and may snap back to "normal". Make sure not to reverse the connections on reinstall, it'll pin the gauge.

True pressure drops will only come from increased bearing oil clearances, inadequate oil volume (either from pump, from stuck relief valve or due to restriction), or thin oil.

If once the sender is clean, and the filter and oil have been changed, there is no change, get a mechanical pressure tester to verify. If verified, go to the pump and if no joy, the oil passages/galleries.

Betcha it'll fix itself after the sender, filter, and oil. Besides, it's good practice to change the oil after such a long layoff.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: oil pressure woes....help.....