Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped intake bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 02:33 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Stripped intake bolts

I stripped 3 of the intake bolts trying to get the intake off... how do I get em off? Am I going to be able to get em off with a beastly pair of plyers?
Old 11-04-2002, 04:03 PM
BartW
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how in the world did you strip them, are you using the correct sockets??? If you can get a pair of pliers on them, don't, use very strong vise grips and lock them as tight as you can before turning.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:10 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Yes, I have all the correct tool sizes for everything. Its farily common for the intake bolts to strip from what I hear.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:32 PM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

try to hammer the socket down into the bolt then turning it.

if that doenst work then u might try to tap a flat head screw driver into the bolt and take it out.

SHAUN
Old 11-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

With internal hex bolts like on the intake manifold and the cam tower, it is important to use a socket which is very good condition and it helps to hit the stocket with a hammer to "wake" the threads.

I've had success hammering a slightly larger tool into the bolt head and then unscrewing it normally. Also, you may want to try an SAE socket.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:01 PM
txhedg
Racer

If you are talking about those internal-hex bolts (don't they call them cheeseheadbolts???)on the intake manifold, I did the same thing.

I used an "easy-out" , or reverse threaded drill bit that fit down into the stripped hex hole, and bit down into the bolt, then with further turning backed the bolt out. I think the bit was about $5 at home depot. just take one of the bolts that did come out to find the right size bit.

good luck, its a pain, but mine came out pretty easily with the right tool.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:35 PM
951Gary
Instructor

One of the best tricks that I've heard of for removing stuck/broken studs etc. is to weld a nut to the offending part. This can even be used after the EZ-out has been broken off in your part. I have experience with that, though I've never tried this on the 944. If you do, remember to disconnect your DME/KLR prior to welding.

Gary
Old 11-05-2002, 12:04 AM
951sickness
Instructor

This stripped bolt is the hex head that is 6mm right? If it is, this is what has worked for me in the past. Get a 6mm(I think) triplesquare socket (12 point). The same one that you use on the CV bolts. Hammer the socket into what is left of the hex head. The twelve points will bite into the metal of the bolt head...then attach a ratchet and simply remove. Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:58 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

I managed to get em! Had a friend bring over a big beast pair of plyers, and I was able to get a lot more leverage on em. The one on the far end though (twd the dash) was really difficult, becasue I couldnt fit any decent size plyers in there. Had to pull up on the intake itself (when I decided to just break teh damn thing off)to work that bolt loose, but I did manage to get it out after doing this. I am definately going to replace those before reassembly.
Now I just have to work at getting the torqued on head nuts off the studs tommorow!
Old 11-05-2002, 03:22 PM
icat
Race Car

Soak those bolts/nuts/etc. overnight with Liquid Wrench (or comparable product) before you start and you'll find they are much easier to remove.

When I removed my intake I soaked the bolts overnight and I had no trouble getting them off at all. I also took a 6mm hex key (long) and cut the "handle" off to create a 5 or 6 inch 6mm key. I then placed one end into a 6mm socket to create an extension to use on the intake bolts. Worked great for me - also simplified reinstallation.

Quick Reply: Stripped intake bolts