Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early center console leather cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early center console leather cover

So I took the console to my upholstrey guy, and he said that a leather cover could not be done. There is no way you could cover it it leather, becase of the way the upper part attacthes to the bottom part.. If it was covered in leather, the top part wouldn't fit onto the bottom part. Thats a big bummer for me. So maybe i'll have to do a dash swap. Or hopefully Paul or Robb can work there magic on it.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

if you want to get creative you could make a cover for the top half and the bottom half and (assuming youre using french seams on your interior) sew a fake seam on the edge of the pieces where they would meet and just attach them somehow that can easily be undone.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Po924S
So I took the console to my upholstrey guy, and he said that a leather cover could not be done. There is no way you could cover it it leather, becase of the way the upper part attacthes to the bottom part.. If it was covered in leather, the top part wouldn't fit onto the bottom part. Thats a big bummer for me. So maybe i'll have to do a dash swap. Or hopefully Paul or Robb can work there magic on it.
Just wait on that dash swap until I can tell you the full nightmare. I'm starting to cut holes into the car now.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
if you want to get creative you could make a cover for the top half and the bottom half and (assuming youre using french seams on your interior) sew a fake seam on the edge of the pieces where they would meet and just attach them somehow that can easily be undone.
I went over this with my upholstrey guy. The top of the console snaps into place with the bottom. So if you did cover it, it wouldn't snap into place. It just wouldn't fit.

Marcquito- That was my plan.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:29 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

hmmm...I would have to think that there is a way to do it because I think that someone over on 924board.org has done it...I could be wrong though

If it would help, I have an extra early center console that I would be willing to contribute to this (for either a small fee or some other form of reimbursement such as a discount on recovering of my own center console). PM me if you're interested please
Old 06-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by white924s
hmmm...I would have to think that there is a way to do it because I think that someone over on 924board.org has done it...I could be wrong though

If it would help, I have an extra early center console that I would be willing to contribute to this (for either a small fee or some other form of reimbursement such as a discount on recovering of my own center console). PM me if you're interested please
Really? If you can remember who has done it on the 924board, please tell me! Thanks, but i've allready got a extra early center console. My practice console.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:00 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I went over this with my upholstrey guy. The top of the console snaps into place with the bottom. So if you did cover it, it wouldn't snap into place. It just wouldn't fit.
i know how it goes together...you could do it so that the vinyl is just covering the outside of the plastic (doesn't wrap over the edge) by maybe gluing the end down on the outside rather than the inside. do that to both halves and it should work out fine. there will still be a break in the vinyl but if you dressed it up like i suggested before it might look convincing.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:36 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i know how it goes together...you could do it so that the vinyl is just covering the outside of the plastic (doesn't wrap over the edge) by maybe gluing the end down on the outside rather than the inside. do that to both halves and it should work out fine. there will still be a break in the vinyl but if you dressed it up like i suggested before it might look convincing.

I suggusted that to him to, He said leather dosn't glue very well to plastic, it'll shrink and loosen up over time. Also having the "break" would look pretty bad he said. But I'm gonna talk to him about that some more. It would be fine if there was a break. Becuase, how notacible can it be? I also don't mind re-glueing it.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:16 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Or maybe if you did french seams, you could use htose to hide staples like what the factory used for the carpet side covers
Old 06-28-2008, 04:53 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by white924s
Or maybe if you did french seams, you could use htose to hide staples like what the factory used for the carpet side covers
Hurm.... It was always going to be done with french seams. lol.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesn't jageng have a kit for this? maybe I'm wrong. worth a look.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I suggusted that to him to, He said leather dosn't glue very well to plastic, it'll shrink and loosen up over time. Also having the "break" would look pretty bad he said. But I'm gonna talk to him about that some more. It would be fine if there was a break. Becuase, how notacible can it be? I also don't mind re-glueing it.
maybe then you could find some vinyl of a similar color and use it on the center console instead? honestly how often are you going to feel your console lol. i guarantee that you and your upholstery guy would be the only ones who would know it was vinyl.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Contact Robb Budd or go to www.928leathershop.com. He can do custom work and has quite a large selection of kits for early cars.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:30 PM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Work out how to modify the console, so that it doesn't have to snap together? I think that's the only way this one is going to work. What would the issue be if instead of the snap-together joint, there was a gap in the frame equal to double the thickness of the covering, and then when assembled the two parts would be flush against each other..?

I've been giving some thought to recovering my early console, so I really hope this is possible. If not, the next stop is to look at building a centre console, starting with a wood former, fibreglass, and then covering it and adding a copy of the front (fake metal) face made from sheet aluminium.

You have the spare console - so you can afford to learn from your mistakes :-D
Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bad_monkey
Work out how to modify the console, so that it doesn't have to snap together? I think that's the only way this one is going to work. What would the issue be if instead of the snap-together joint, there was a gap in the frame equal to double the thickness of the covering, and then when assembled the two parts would be flush against each other..?

I've been giving some thought to recovering my early console, so I really hope this is possible. If not, the next stop is to look at building a centre console, starting with a wood former, fibreglass, and then covering it and adding a copy of the front (fake metal) face made from sheet aluminium.

You have the spare console - so you can afford to learn from your mistakes :-D

I would mess around the early console, but i'm gonna focus on my dash because I know it can be done. I'll probaly send my center console when I send my dash to Rob Budd.

Quick Reply: Early center console leather cover