Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intro/Race Car Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intro/Race Car Set Up

Hi All,

New to the list. New to 944s Recently bought the 944 S2 (M030) below here in Dubai which I am building up for competition in the local open saloon series. I wanted a Turbo, but couldn't find one.Only a few 944s of any type for sale here, all imported. Plan is to build a turbo engine later and add a LSD. This will be a track car only.

Right now the interior of the car has been gutted, race seat is in, safety devices cage about to go in, new spec racing clutch, flywheel and other safety gear going in this week etc.

I am about to place one large order for suspension and brake components, so would appreciate some feedback from all you long time 944 racers.

Plan is for full solid bushings, polybronze spring plates, tarret bars. Undecided are brand of camber plate, looking at the Lindsey Racing vs Racers Edge? and shocks - looking at Moton Clubsport vs JRZ RS Pro. ? Plan is to delete the rear torsion bars.

Brakes - Planning to get a set of Big Blacks/993 Rotors, but at the same time wondering if the M030's already on the car might work ok?

Would be very greatful for any words of wisdom, comments, recommendations as I am about to spend a lot of cash, international shipping is a pain and I would like to get it right first time!

Cheers!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not invest in any brake upgrades. Good race pads should be more than sufficient.

As to the rest, it really depends on the rules package in the race series you are joining.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:15 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Welcome - car sounds like fun!

You might get better response about those shock selections on the racing/DE forum. I will mention that one consideration should be what support you have locally to set up and tune the shocks...
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I will post this over there as well.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Presuming that you're going to have a major weight reduction, I think the stock brakes will work well.

Excellent idea on the fully solid suspension bushings. You didn't list aftermarket front control arms - those are a must.

I also have been very happy with the Tarret way bars.

Moton and JRZ both make excellent products. I agress with Vaughan - get something that can be serviced locally. Depending on how much racing you do, you may be rebuilding/dynoing shocks every 2 years or so.

Have fun!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

^^I was looking at the Lindsey Racing Arms mainly because they include the castor blocks for free whereas others charge a few hundred dollars extra for them.

Local servicing of anything here is dubious. We rely heavily on overseas services and resources but I have taken car parts "on holidays" with me before
Old 06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Dubai944

Congratulations on making the right choice You will be competing in class D with modified Golf GTIs mainly, and a well sorted lightweight 944 will be very tough to beat. I have considered this for a long time but will be entering with my modified 993TT in principle, waiting for the final regulations next week.

I will be upgrading my 993TT brakes if I end up entering with the TT, so I suggest that you wait for a week or two before ordering brakes if you are going to.

Moton are fantastic, if you need a set let me know, I know the Moton owner well and he will help out. I have the same on my car, and I now have them very well dialled.

I would wait for the regulations, you might be able to widen the track of your car and then fit some GTR fenders.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Hi Jean,

Have we crossed paths before? Maybe at Autodrome track days. I usually drive a silver 350Z scaring all the non-turbo Porsches

Let me know on the brakes. i may be interested.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:16 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Dubai944;

Have you installed the Moton's yet? Any track time with the new setup yet? I'm curious on the impact it's had on handling. Is the difference that profound? My car is getting the Moton upgrade this week. I removed all the rubber bushings and mounts and replaced with Racers Edge stuff 2 years ago. I have Koni coilovers right now but it's time for the upgrade.

Thx.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I'd definitely add brake cooling ducts on the front and 3" tubing run to the calipers - that'll make a world of difference in keeping brake temps down and extending pad life. If you are running a stock turbo or S2 motor the stock brakes are up to the task (with cooling) with some aggressive pads and stainless lines. If you are building a monster turbo engine then I'd upgrade to the Big Reds (928 S4 or Turbo S brakes).
Old 07-06-2008, 09:28 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jaje
I'd definitely add brake cooling ducts on the front and 3" tubing run to the calipers - that'll make a world of difference in keeping brake temps down and extending pad life. If you are running a stock turbo or S2 motor the stock brakes are up to the task (with cooling) with some aggressive pads and stainless lines. If you are building a monster turbo engine then I'd upgrade to the Big Reds (928 S4 or Turbo S brakes).

What do you recommend on brake cooling ducts? Lindsey has a nice kit where it meets the rotors but I don't see where it ducts through to the front of the car. The factor stuff on there is a joke.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:03 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I bought a set that bolt to the hub and put air directly onto the caliper on eBay by AutosportFL - they are the old Broadfoot racing guys (http://www.broadfootracing.com/). I think they got their act together and are better at shipping. It works with 3" ID alum flex hose (dryer hose basically) and you can run to the 8v n/a 944s to the spot where the fog lights would go. On the turbo nose'd 944s you can get creative.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

93 Firehawk,

Things move slowly in the Middle East when you are dealing with international shipping etc. Nothing has arrived yet!

I hope to have everything for installation in the next week or so. I went with racers edge bushings throughout, polybronze on the spring plates, racers edge camber plates and control arms, billet hubs, moton clubsport shock, tarret bars. Also getting a GT 50/80 LSD.

I hope after all that I can notice some difference in the handling!!

A lot more stuff to do before Ican get it on a track...hopefully by end of July!

Last edited by Dubai944; 07-07-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like a good combo - I'm sure you'll be happy with everything.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:06 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did the complete Racers Edge package and Motons - excellent! PM me if you have any questions re; any bit of it. I took some photos and would be happy to share. If your doing the work I hope you have a hoist!

Brakes - I have a non S 951 and just fitted Pagid orange. I just spent two days on the track with them and found them to be outstanding. Try them on stock brakes with new rotors before you invest in big blacks, you will be impressed.

Quick Reply: Intro/Race Car Set Up