Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory Position Ignition Queston

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 AM
early6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory Position Ignition Queston

I have an 88' 924 and do not have the manual to research. I have an aftermarket stereo that remains on even when I pull the key out of the ignition. I have to actually turn the stereo off. I am wondering if the PO hooked it up to constant power accidentally or if that's how they are all hooked up.

Is the fist turn on the ignition (1 click) the accessory postition? The way it's currently hooked up just doesn't seem right. Any help would be great.

TIA!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:37 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You're right - they wired it wrong. You should find a keyed power as well as a constant (for keeping the radio memory) back there. Sounds like the hooked both of the power leads of the radio up to the constant power lead.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:34 AM
early6
Advanced

That's what I thought. So there is an accessory mode without turning on the car??
Old 06-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way my Blaupunkt MP74 is wired is that even without the key in I can hold the power button to turn it on.
Or, it will come on when I turn the key to the right. So it comes on with the car, and it will turn off with the car. But, it is also wired to the 12V constant so it can be turned on without the key.

I believe in my car the first clockwise click is the Acc. mode then "ON" is just beyond that.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Calmchaos
The way my Blaupunkt MP74 is wired is that even without the key in I can hold the power button to turn it on.
Or, it will come on when I turn the key to the right. So it comes on with the car, and it will turn off with the car. But, it is also wired to the 12V constant so it can be turned on without the key.
That's a function of that specific radio, and some other Blaus.

Originally Posted by Calmchaos
I believe in my car the first clockwise click is the Acc. mode then "ON" is just beyond that.
+1 Correct.

EDIT: D'Oh:
"I have an 88' 924"
Yeah....I didn't read/remember that part. Sorry. Ignore this post.

Last edited by DarylJ; 06-29-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: I'm not that smart.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:01 PM
544DRS
Instructor

I experienced something similar today, when I fired my new car stereo up for the first time. The previous owner took whatever stereo was there so I've had to figure these wires out using the current diagram and dumb luck.

After finding the only unattached red/white wire (radio wiring diagram suggest this wire would be the one that provides ignition-on voltage), I hooked everything up, and all works good--except the stereo can turn on even with the key off. I then tried using a red/blue wire in the same bundle, but the same thing happened. Both wires show 12V only when the key is on.

Nick
Old 06-29-2008, 04:37 AM
544DRS
Instructor

New information...I didn't realize the voltage shows up when the key is inserted. Remove the key? Stereo shuts off.

Still didn't prevent me from running the battery down while I marveled over this achievement, though.

Nick
Old 06-29-2008, 09:11 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Ignition switch is different in an early car. It goes 0-1-2, where:

0 is the position where you can remove the key
1 is run
2 is start. No accessory position, though nearly everything works when you set the key to "run."

Only the radio works when the key is set to 0...you get voltage, as Nick said.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:20 PM
544DRS
Instructor

Even newer information...the red/blue wire loses voltage when the key is removed from the ignition. The red/yellow wire, however, does not. Voltage is present even with the key removed.

After looking at the current diagram, I'm wondering if the "radio relay" is missing? Does anyone know what it looks like, and where it'd be, relative to the other radio wiring?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 544DRS
Even newer information...the red/blue wire loses voltage when the key is removed from the ignition. The red/yellow wire, however, does not. Voltage is present even with the key removed.

After looking at the current diagram, I'm wondering if the "radio relay" is missing? Does anyone know what it looks like, and where it'd be, relative to the other radio wiring?

Thanks,

Nick
Wait...what's wrong with that? You put the red/yellow to the "memory" or constant lead of the radio, and put the red/blue to power......you're set.

Quick Reply: Accessory Position Ignition Queston