Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Getting a title for a car when the title was lost???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 06:13 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post OT: Getting a title for a car when the title was lost???

A while back I bought a cheapo Mazda Miata. It is in good shape with about 100k miles on it. The problem is that the lady bought I bought it from never had a title for it. When you buy a car over here you register with the military and you never need the actual title. They told me that I can ship it back to the states with the military documents. Does anyone have any info on how I would get a title for the car once I get back to the states?
Old 11-23-2002, 08:30 AM
James Hamm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael,
I just arrived in Germany last night and I'm currently staying in Wurzburg. To get the title, you will have to find out the last state it was registered in. You will apply for a lost title and purchase a bond for the vehicle which will cover it for about one year which covers the value if a claim is made buy a previous owner. Once a certain time has elapsed, a standard title will be issued to you and no claims can be made by anyone else. I just did this in Georgia with a 1970 Dodge Charger. It was relatively pain free and simple. The DMV will be able to help you out as long as you know the state is was last registered in. If you don't know, the VIN# will give them what they need but it will just take a little longer. You should have enough time (at least 30 days) on your American/European tags when you return stateside to make all of this happen without any problems.

James Hamm....
Old 11-23-2002, 10:29 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks a lot James. You were wanting some help with your Torque Tube replacement right? I will be out of town from 19DEC02 to 5JAN03. Just let me know when you want to do it, I am free after that...Unless something else is going on in the world of course..
Old 11-23-2002, 11:21 AM
The Al Show
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can register a car without a title in Maine if it's more than 15 years old. I sold a few cars on ebay without titles. I had to register them in my name and then get a notarized bill of sale from me (the last registered owner) to the buyer and give him the valid registration certificate.They won't accept a copy. I have to apply for a duplicate if I want to transfer the plates to another car. The registration fees depend on the book value of the car and the 6% sales tax. I also have to insure it first.
It's even easier in New Hampshire They don't require a title on cars over 10 years old. There's no sales tax and you don't need proof of insurance. They do require VIN # verification by a police officer or inspection station. That means your car would have to be in N.H. to be checked. My ex-wife lives in N.H. and could do it for a small fee. If you have your car shipped to Boston it's a three to four hour drive to get the vin # checked. You could wait for the paperwork or I could mail it to you.
There are also people who make a full time business out of getting titles for untitled cars. Classic Auto Registration (C.A.R.) In Cleveland Al. says their prices start at $75.00. The toll free number is 1-888-878-1172.
Email me if you want to go through Me. or N.H. You would have to give me or my ex a bill of sale for the Miata. The guys in Alabama would need one if you use them.
Another alternative would be to move to N.H. for a day or two and register it in your own name and then move back home and reregister in your state.I have a N.H. p.o.box you can use for a mailing address.
AL

Quick Reply: OT: Getting a title for a car when the title was lost???