Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who was selling stone guard sets cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Default who was selling stone guard sets cheap?

Who was it? I want a set for the S2.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:59 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

im interested in this too - i need a couple sets.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i found em for 50 on ebay with a buy it now of 60. they put them up once a week. dont bid against me this week please.

BTW Dan, do you have any smacked up front fenders? I want the bottom corner to learn bodywork on the S2 on. i know drop it off in cinci for a week and it will be better than new.

Also, what 944 connections do you have in cleveland?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:51 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan P and those guys live in near cleveland- im a few hundred miles from there- i have one red ds fender but thats it and i'd rather not cut it up. Dan.''

i'll check around for those rock guards.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dan,
if it isnt smacked up i dont want the part. the rust is too small to replace the fender and may be too big to bondo. havent opened up the patient - or should i say can of worms yet.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you cutting into a contoured piece? You could just use flat sheet-metal and form it into place.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 88BlueTSiQuest
Are you cutting into a contoured piece? You could just use flat sheet-metal and form it into place.
the bottom corner of the front fender, just in back of the wheels. about an inch and a half square but it got the quarter of an inch that wraps around.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:25 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

I know that you are wanting to learn the proper way to this repair. But having done this myself on a couple of previous cars.... I would simply replace the whole fender. It's the rear quarters and rockers that I repaired, so cutting and welding was the only repair. It's a ton of work, and getting it smoothed out is probably the biggest part of the project.

How big of a hole are you looking at? Depending on the extent of cancer, it is possible to simply patch in some sheet metal, and fill the gaps with low heat. With a little technique, you can span ¼" gaps pretty easily with a MIG welder. It won't look too pretty on the inside, but only bugs will ever see that.

Something else that can help you span gaps when welding would be a copper backing spoon. The copper conducts electricity, but the steel wire that you are welding with doesn't really stick to it, allowing you to remove the spoon, leaving the weld behind.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Wes-P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you referring to the clear pieces that mold onto the certain parts of fenders and what not? if so i believe i have a set that came with my car that i was going to sell or put on and never did, if so id sell them for that..just let me know.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 88BlueTSiQuest
I know that you are wanting to learn the proper way to this repair. But having done this myself on a couple of previous cars.... I would simply replace the whole fender. It's the rear quarters and rockers that I repaired, so cutting and welding was the only repair. It's a ton of work, and getting it smoothed out is probably the biggest part of the project.

How big of a hole are you looking at? Depending on the extent of cancer, it is possible to simply patch in some sheet metal, and fill the gaps with low heat. With a little technique, you can span ¼" gaps pretty easily with a MIG welder. It won't look too pretty on the inside, but only bugs will ever see that.

Something else that can help you span gaps when welding would be a copper backing spoon. The copper conducts electricity, but the steel wire that you are welding with doesn't really stick to it, allowing you to remove the spoon, leaving the weld behind.
This is the bad side.

Originally Posted by Wes-P
Are you referring to the clear pieces that mold onto the certain parts of fenders and what not? if so i believe i have a set that came with my car that i was going to sell or put on and never did, if so id sell them for that..just let me know.
See the cracked piece of black plastic just over the rust. the car has six of them. Those be the stone guards.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:54 AM
ericmess
Advanced

i was the one originally selling them and have sold them...i sold mine for $50 shipped
Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom R.
This is the bad side.

See the cracked piece of black plastic just over the rust. the car has six of them. Those be the stone guards.

Judging by how high the cancer has spread, you will probably be better off with either a whole fender, or at least what you were looking for to begin with.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Wes-P
Instructor

yes i do believe i have a set that id let go of, ill check the garage in a minute

Quick Reply: who was selling stone guard sets cheap?