Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 engine removal write up

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 951 engine removal write up

ok i am a very very crappy home mech. and i need to remove the engine out of a 951. It has no hood, no fenders, nothing like that so i was told i'd be easier to take it out the top. Does anyone have a VERY detailed write up?
Old 11-22-2002, 07:23 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Seriously, going out the bottom is super easy. Out the top, even if there is nothing in the engine bay, hood, whatever, you still have the area where the hood latch is. The pullies will hit it, or come very very close to it when coming out the top.

I have done it both ways, and out the bottom is 10 times easier.

After securing everything, drop the suspension as 1 unit. Disconnect the PS hose at the pump and at the PS cooler, unbolt the steering shaft from the rack, motor mounts from motor, the struts from the strut tower, a-arms from the body, cross member from the body. Lower the entire unit onto the floor and slide it out.

(assuming you have all wires, hoses, cat section of the down pipe, starter, radiator, and the other normals disconnected and removed) Unbolt the bell housing from the torque tube. Slide the motor forward enough to clear the drive shaft and lower it to the ground.

Easy enough, huh? Not detailed, but if you follow the Haynes (or better yet OEM manuals), add in the tips from above when you get to the point where you need them, and it is smooth sailing.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:30 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

haha thanks, that helps a little but as i mentioned......HORRIBLE home mech. I remember a couple weeks ago there was a right up on a alternator removal from a 951, had pics and stuff and it was like 3 pages long.

I need something like that cept for engine removal, including removing all hoses, vaccume, intercooler, radiator.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:01 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Wow.. that would take forever to make up. Best thing is a Haynes manual. It is somewhat step by step.

The Porsche manuals would be the way to go for you. Perhaps someone can e-mail you off the forums if they know something we shoulden't. Wink wink.

Follow it step by step. This will insure your safety and also that you do not miss anything and end up regretting it.

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2002, 08:10 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As you are taking things apart, I recommend you bag and tag all parts, you will thank me when installing the engine.

And I took my engine out the bottom.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:49 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

yes i plan to take a TON of pics of everything when taking it apart and tape and lebel everything so that i can get it in again.

How about the 944-garage, that site that is no longer working, does anyone have a write up off of that?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:56 PM
crazandy
Racer

whats the URL of the 944-garage?
Old 11-22-2002, 09:12 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
<a href="http://www.clarks-garage.com/" target="_blank">http://www.clarks-garage.com/</a>

Still not active. I have some of his documents. But, rumor is when he comes back on line, it will be bigger and better (documents that is).

There are several Engine documents. I used them when I pulled the engine on my 86 turbo the first time. Out the bottom sounds wierd, but it works fine.

Send me an email and I'll reply with what I have.

Dan
Old 11-22-2002, 10:29 PM
crazandy
Racer

It works for me

EDIT - nevermind, just the main page is up
Old 11-23-2002, 08:40 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PCNA has a lot to answer for. That was a terrific site, very useful to a 944 owner, now it's been down for a long time. The information on the old site was one of the things I relied upon when I bought my 951. I question the judgment of the PCNA legal team in their quest to protect copyright.

If there wasn't a community of 944 owners helping each other out, there would be no support at all. Porsche has no compunction about leaving us without resources. Porsche won't even print a new run of the &^%$ service manuals.

Kind of makes you wonder why anybody would buy a new Porsche, since it's plain the company won't support it 10 years down the line, and will penalize people who try to support it from love of the model or marque. The lack of company support is something I can handle with a $9,000.00 car, but could never accept for a 40, 60, or 120k one. So I'll never buy a 40, 60, etc.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:40 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't know it was P-----e that shut down that site. What were the legal grounds, wasn't it just advice on how to fix these cars? How can that be considered trademark or copyright infringement?
Old 11-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

well if you think about it, the less support there is the more people will take these cars to dealers to get repaired.

It was totally uncool though, especially cuz the friggin porsche site sucks! It has no info on it at all, not even good info on the new cars, not to mention older models which they have nothing on.

There was another site that was shut down by porsche that was great, it had every model on there and gave a brief and accurate history on the car and also gave major statistics, like engine size, bore, stoke, weight, acc., all that stuff and then they shut it down.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:58 PM
andyrew
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Thaddeus:
<strong>PCNA has a lot to answer for. That was a terrific site, very useful to a 944 owner, now it's been down for a long time. The information on the old site was one of the things I relied upon when I bought my 951. I question the judgment of the PCNA legal team in their quest to protect copyright.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

PCNA didn't shut him down. But with all the legal action going on, Clark didn't want to deal with it. So he chose to rename his site and is in the process of redoing the design/content.

------------------------------
I'll throw this out as a resource. May not have all the answers and now it's a year or 2 old. (I need to update it too..) Another lister compiles questions/answers for their own (and others) later referral.

<a href="http://members.rennlist.org/dan10101/archives.htm" target="_blank">Renegade Archives</a>

I know I'm running the ragged edge having a P Crest on my site, but oh well.

If anyone else is compiling this kind of information and would like me to add it to the site, send it to me. I have some more info to add when I redo the site.

Thanks
DanD
Old 11-23-2002, 07:01 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Arg, my sons account.. This one is me.
dan10101@pacbell.net

[quote]Originally posted by andyrew:
<strong>

PCNA didn't shut him down. But with all the legal action going on, Clark didn't want to deal with it. So he chose to rename his site and is in the process of redoing the design/content.

------------------------------
I'll throw this out as a resource. May not have all the answers and now it's a year or 2 old. (I need to update it too..) Another lister compiles questions/answers for their own (and others) later referral.

<a href="http://members.rennlist.org/dan10101/archives.htm" target="_blank">Renegade Archives</a>

I know I'm running the ragged edge having a P Crest on my site, but oh well.

If anyone else is compiling this kind of information and would like me to add it to the site, send it to me. I have some more info to add when I redo the site.

Thanks
DanD</strong><hr></blockquote>

Quick Reply: 951 engine removal write up