Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked myself INSIDE my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:25 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the door panel won't release until the weight of the drive train is no longer in the car...
I know you guys are kidding but you're making this way too hard. Just pull the door at the hinge an get it where you can work on it. Start by pulling the left front wheel, then the inner fender, then the charcoal cannister, then the batwing, then the nose piece, then the left front fender, then the door panel and the threshold piece, then hood release and the kick panel. Disconnect that one little connector and fish the cable out. This is easier if you have the seat out. since you have the seat out, swap the damn heater clip and tweak the clutch pedal play and ya know those old pedal pads are just 5 bucks to swap now. And check for a wet spot under the clutch. What do ya mean the carpet smells like antifreeze?....
Its no wonder we order so damn many parts, its the only to get a break. Bruce
Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by F18Rep
I know you guys are kidding but you're making this way too hard. Just pull the door at the hinge an get it where you can work on it. Start by pulling the left front wheel, then the inner fender, then the charcoal cannister, then the batwing, then the nose piece, then the left front fender, then the door panel and the threshold piece, then hood release and the kick panel. Disconnect that one little connector and fish the cable out. This is easier if you have the seat out. since you have the seat out, swap the damn heater clip and tweak the clutch pedal play and ya know those old pedal pads are just 5 bucks to swap now. And check for a wet spot under the clutch. What do ya mean the carpet smells like antifreeze?....
LOL - Thanks Bruce, finally a serious response but you forgot about replacing the clutch pedal return spring since the car won't run for another 12 months anyway. Good time to upgrade the turbo also. :cheers
Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, I finally got in there. It looks like the wire from the lever to the latch on the door jam broke inside of its sleeving. I do not know where I put my PET CD to find out what the part number is so I am asking for a hand-out for info. Can someone take a screen shot and help me out?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Is this it?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:52 AM
chapstic951
Pro

that is the magic part...now if it weren't for that pesky part #15 it would be out. Thank you.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:05 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my red cab I've actually locked myself in a couple of times, the micro switch in the drivers door is playing up so sometimes when I lock the car with the console switch it refuse to unlock again, when its jammed this way I can't even get it open by pulling the door-pin inside the car so I have to stop open the window stick the key in the door keyhole and unlock it before I can get out.

I've driven it home to open and then leave for the shops again more than once since I feel to stupid to do it in the parking lot where every one can point and say check that guy locked himself in his Porsche.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Well, crap. I got the circlip off (#15) and knew I was tempting fate by not completely removing the latch cluster (#28). I removed the door jam latch (#29) to give myself enough clearance, but it left me blind putting the circlip back on. Long story short, I have now lost the circlip from trying to monkey fisting it on. Any recommendations on the "right" way to do it, i.e. remove the latch cluster?

Otherwise I am going to try to bribe a garage in Gettysburg while I help my dad drop off his Vette for a gauge cluster repair.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL! I didn't read any of this thread other than the title, but I did have a customer the other day who brought her Cadillac Escalade in for service because she was locked in it... Basically, she left the keys in the cargo area when unloading it, got in, and it locked. and as a safety feature the unlock button on the door turns off after a little bit so it obviously didn't work. so she tries the On-star button. sure enough the car wasn't on, so no luck. finally, SHE CALLS 911 who gets in touch with on-star, and unlocks it. But, not ONCE in the hour that she was locked in her car, did she think to pull the little unlock lever on the door itself, nor climb in the back to get her keys. FREAKING MORONS. I SWEAR.

Actually, I did read a bit of the thread, and the door lever breaking is lame. I've had it happen. no fun.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:47 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Anyone know to get the whole contraption out of the door, PN#28? I have been at it for the better part of two weeks and I cannot get the cable reattached with the circlip with the whole mechanism in the car.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
chapstic951
Pro

I gave up. Now it is in the shop undergoing 2.5 hours of labor....ugh!

Quick Reply: Locked myself INSIDE my car