Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cylan
Ok, some news:

The good part is, I think I found the problem! I took the valve cover off and I was able to see immediately that the ticking wasn't coming from any of the lifters. So, what was it?

Either I was a dumbass and forgot to tighten the mounting bolts on the chain tensioner or they backed out. Either way, they weren't in their sockets, and the tensioner was anchored only by the bolt through the cam cover.

Somewhat good news: Damage seems very minimal (phew). And, I found *a* bolt. The trouble is, there are supposed to be *two*.

Well, crap! Anyone ever dropped a bolt down one of the oil galleys before, and if so, how did you get it out? Can I hold out hope for it ending up in the oil pan?
It a bolt fell in the oil tunnels below, then thats its new house unless you want to get the head off. The bolt is too big to fall down the complete galley. They funnel down toward the end, to where it would be hard to fit anything except a small screw down into them.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:01 PM
elcap00
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an S as well and have dropped washers and bolts into the drain vents while changing the tensioner. It can be really scary but, the bolt is too big to go into your pan--just get a long flexible magnet and get the thing out---the smaller washers (aluminum) need a different approach but, it can be done
Old 09-13-2008, 11:35 PM
cylan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heh, thread resurrection.

I later figured out that the threads in the bores for the bolts are actually stripped to hell, no wonder they didn't hold the bolts in properly. I'm certain that I didn't break them, pretty sure it was some idiot mechanic, the sort that at least one of my POs seemed to love.

So I got myself a flexible grabber tool with the intent of fishing out the errant bolt, and a magnet had been suggested to me by a friend as well. I'll have to work on it some weekend soon.

The clutch really needs to be worked on first, though, it's getting a bit rowdy

Quick Reply: Engine ticking?