Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Release Steering Hub

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Toran
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick Release Steering Hub

Hello Good People,

This place is great for sharing and receiving info for our beloved 924/944/968.
I am needing help in picking out a quality quick release hub for the 944.
I have seen some by NRG, Sparco, MOMO, etc.

What you you good people using?

T.I.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the NRG 2.5 and am impressed with it. It only locks when the steering wheel is straight so you can't put it on crooked which is nice and it has zero play.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:42 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the NRG one. Tried it out and will not be using it for racing.The mechanism requires you to push a button with one hand and rotate the collar to allow the wheel to be removed. Was hoping I could get away cheap but I should know better by now.

It is this one:

http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/...Title=Interior

The last thing I want is to be on fire and to try to get the little button pushed down with two gloved hands to get the steering wheel off. I just purchased some parts off another rennlister including a splined QD that I will be using for the race car.

I'll sell my NRG one to you for $60+shipping if you want it. It was installed once or twice but never used for anything more than pushing the car in and out of the garage.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the NRG disconnect in my soon to be race car. Since Ive gotten my cage finished Ive been doing some fire drills, practicing getting out of the car with my eyes closed and as fast as I can. Havent had any problems getting the wheel disconnected fast enough. Mine you pull the collar towards you while depressing the button. No rotating. I guess thats unique to the thin version.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use this one (the race version) http://www.ricks2k.com/products/snapoff.php If you search the Racing/DE Forum there are lots of discussions regarding quick release steering mechanisms.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought mine here http://tcracing.org

It has worked great for 2 yeras with no play.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Keith E.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another suggestion...haven't used any others so can't comment on comparison...
I'm 6'3 and have fixed aluminum seat very low and far back so I like the extra distance away from the stalk. Easy, one-hand operation.

http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/ltbquicrelsp.html
Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schwank
I bought the NRG one. Tried it out and will not be using it for racing.The mechanism requires you to push a button with one hand and rotate the collar to allow the wheel to be removed. Was hoping I could get away cheap but I should know better by now.

It is this one:

http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/...Title=Interior

The last thing I want is to be on fire and to try to get the little button pushed down with two gloved hands to get the steering wheel off. I just purchased some parts off another rennlister including a splined QD that I will be using for the race car.

I'll sell my NRG one to you for $60+shipping if you want it. It was installed once or twice but never used for anything more than pushing the car in and out of the garage.
The 2.5 you don't have to rotate it, and the safety button can be removed. It's only there so you don't accidently release the wheel which I can't see how that would happen. I talked to some other local racers using it and the all removed the button.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:15 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the tcracing one. I bought mine from Discovery parts. When it was new it would hang up a bit, just a tiny bit of grease on the pins was a permanent fix. It is still very tight after 3 or 4 years
Old 06-19-2008, 04:24 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Schwank, you have a PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Toran
Pro

Thank you everyone for your creative input.
Does anyone know if the NRG 2.5 version comes in thin model?

T.I.A
Old 06-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Toran
Pro

Default What length should the screws be connecting the NRG adapter to the MOMO hub?

Thanks everyone for all the input!

I got my hands on a NRG 2.5 version. I had to add a few holes to the MOMO hub since I am using a Dino wheel. The hole patterns are different and wanted the steering wheel to be straight to accommodate the NRG adapter.

I already have the correct screws connecting the steering wheel to the NRG sleeve.

Question: What length and what type of metal should the screws be connecting the NRG adapter to the MOMO hub? I just broke a screwhead off! Grrrr...

T.I.A

Quick Reply: Quick Release Steering Hub