Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmm, maybe THIS caused my accident?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 06:42 AM
Paul Kroenke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hmm, maybe THIS caused my accident?

Reading the torsion bar replacement thread made me think. As I said in the BLF thread, I bought the car with a brand new suspension in it. However the previous owner made a mistake I believe. If big is good, more is better, right? Well he put 31mm weltmeister torsion bars in there. Matched to koni yellows all around and eibach springs up front. Think that could have contributed/caused my accident? As I said, regardless of what people have been saying, I was not racing or anything, just going maybe 50 in a 35 when I took a sweeper. My foot was on the gas I believe. What do you guys think? Go back to the BLF thread if youd like to reread my situation. If 31mm is too big, like dangerous too big, maybe I should sell them. I've heard so much about the awesome 951 handling, but to me its like, wtf where is it? You cant even drive fast without the rear end coming out. And I thought the 944 was supposed to be the forgiving porsche.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:06 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
What kind of tires do you have on? What was the road like?

The car will only handle as well as the driver can drive.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:01 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

you were gasing thru a wet turn.. its almost inevitable that you will spin out..

when its raining, the LAST thing you want to do is gas into a turn or THRU a turn. its hard for the tires to grip enough and on top of that, you may have had boost from the turbo kicking in to help push it even harder.

SHAUN
Old 05-06-2002, 11:17 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Shaun,

Well that is not entirely true, you do want to be on the gas to some extent, letting off the gas suddenly or hitting it too hard could contribute to a spin. But just being on the gas in the wet is not a bad thing.

I have been lucky enough to have one of my drivers events in the wet, and I learned more car control that weekend than I thought possible. Learning to balance the car with the throttle alone was very valuable (and fun).
Old 05-06-2002, 12:28 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

I'll swap suspensions with you if you don't like yours.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:48 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts
I a gree with Ian. The real problem is that not enough people understand the importance of throttle control and adjusting the chasis balance by "gently" lifting or applying throttle. I have fallen victim to this by coming into a wet turn too fast and completely letting up on the throttle or applying the brakes. Either acton will result in a substantial weight transfer to the front of the car. More weight up front means more grip for the front tires. Less weight in back means less grip for the rear tires. All this equals oversteer. If you compound this with engine braking in wet weather you are screwed. Your only chance at saving the car in an oversteer situation like this is to "gently" reduce the throttle, like no more than 30%, and compensate with the steering to try and keep her straight. If you can get her straight and you are still pointed off the road, then you can atleast hammer the brakes.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Dave E
Pro

Do you know what the spring rate is in front? it could be an imbalance in spring rate. If the rear springs have a much higher rate than the front, the rear will not have as much grip and you'll get oversteer, particulaly in neutral to power on conditions. For the proper spring to match the 31mm bar you could call paragon, and they will set you straight. Also , look at the rear sway bar and adjust to full soft if possible. Kepp us posted...crashing sucks.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Mr. Bates - Masta2U
Instructor

Bottom line seems like its driver error! Sorry kid you should have known what your stead was like before you mounted her.

Hey John D. Isnt there a federal law that allows the government to sieze the property where criminal activity occurs?

Thanks paul for bragging about violating umpteen copyright laws and putting the board in jeopardy with your very generous PET offer.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:57 PM
Tabor
Drifting

The board would not be in danger if one of 2 conditions were met:

1. An administrator deleted the PET related threads.

OR

2. Administrators NEVER deleted ANY threads. (too late now).
Old 05-06-2002, 06:35 PM
Paul Kroenke
Intermediate

Who said anything about rain? It was not raining, misting, or anything. It rained before but I would say that it was totally dry in the afternoon when I took it out.

I have RE930's I think, 205/225-16.

My alignment was off, enough to visually tell, as well.

Im not sure of the spring rate, I think they are just what you would get if you looked up eibach springs at any old place and ordered them.

But you guys think 31mm would be ok as long as everything was set up? Thats what I really need to know. What do you think I should set my konis to, front and back? WHat should be hard and what should be softer?

Well look what the cat dragged in. Masta Bater is back. The board is not in any jeopardy whatsoever. Want to know why? Because NO ONE GIVES A CRAP about copyright anything. Only whining crybabies who need to stir things up to get attention and feel special, such as yourself, bring up things like that. They have no relevance to any real danger whatsoever. But I will drop it now before I get started because someone with the wool over their eyes as bad as you got it is too far gone to EVER change their mind or admit their wrong about ANYTHING, so I might as well save my fingers the trouble. Wouldnt want to get arthritis when Im old and decrepit. Someone who is always going against the mainstream, well it can safely be said they are doing it for that sake alone because logic dictates that meainstream is indeed usually right, or at the very least, sometimes right. Sorry to make you realize this so very late in life.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:47 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I think thoes eibach springs are 260 lbs/in. I wouldn't put anything larger than a 28mm in the back. 31 would certainly lead to some oversteer.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:54 PM
Mr. Bates - Masta2U
Instructor

Paul
you really are a moron! again thanks for jeopardizing a great resource you schmuck!
Old 05-06-2002, 06:58 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Paul are you running the same size tire all around?

If so that could have added to the problem, it sounds like you are a bit too stiff already, so if you compound that with tires that are too small you would def be having some problems.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:22 PM
Paul Kroenke
Intermediate

No I have 205s up front and 225s in the back, RE930s. Even if, I thought having the same size tires all around was GOOD. I remember reading that 245s all around are the way to go when autocrossing. But anyways, yeah, my tires are small, though they are a good tire.

Masta Bater-hearing you talk brings a smile to my face every time. Whats funniest is you dont even realize how hilarious you are. You think you are being smart which is ironic part. Everyone, pay no attention to him, hes just mad that he finally realized he has masterbate in his name all this time and never knew it.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:29 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

The reason you would run 245's all around for auto-x or a DE would be to make the car rotate a little quicker (more oversteer). Stock I always thought our cars had a bit too much understeer built in (not a surprise). But with your set up I would def keep a bigger tire in back.

Again I think you should revise your set up, stiffen up the front, or loosen up the back, your choice, but you need to get that thing more balanced.

Quick Reply: Hmm, maybe THIS caused my accident?