Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT-free guitar strings

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 03:14 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
sad to think, I have my eye on a few more "toys" too... am looking for a legit early 50's tele and will probably call it good at that point. I don't really like the weight of a Les Paul and Strats weird me out, never able to get a truly good tone out of one, even tho I have owned maybe 15 of the beasts over the years. I always wind up with my '62 SG in my hands... unbelievable tone with the P-90 straight into a cranked Marshall. Call me "old school", it works...

Played in a number of bands over the years, did national tours in a van in the 80's (never quite made it to a "tour bus"). Opened for a number of big name acts, including REM, Ramones, David Allen Coe, Jason and the Scorchers, Rank and File, The Damned, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys and Circle Jerks, to name a few. The name of the band changed weekly for a while, we finally settled in on "Moped", and have kept that one alive forever, it seems. We haven't been actively playing live in a number of years, but I have been writing and recording more lately, and we have talked recently about getting back together to kick it around a bit. Website is <a href="http://www.mopedmusic.com" target="_blank">www.mopedmusic.com</a> if you want to check it out, altho its just a tongue-in-cheek thing we put up to reserve the space.

Regards, ...Scott
Old 11-22-2002, 03:44 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
I have a cheap Charvel Jackson, anyone jealous yet?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Enzo's Nightmare
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have almost bought more of them over the years, but then decided to put my money elsewhere. Someday I'll buy a few more.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:34 PM
davidc
Track Day

I have:

French Besson with Kanstul Valves
Benge Flugel
Getzen Eterna
Shilke Berilium "C"
Steiner by Crumar (electric analog)
and a soon to be silver Bach Stratavarious

Trumpets!

We're all sick like that.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:19 AM
muso58
Instructor

did'nt realise we had so many musos, i work in spain benidorm entertaining holiday makers I have candy apple red strat with schaller spyder bridge set up, i've just fitted a pearloid cream scratch plate and three glod lace sensors with push pull pot to get the other two pickup positions 3 together sounds amazing , also have 82 jap strat ,with same mods , gibson sg with p90s 1980s i think , and a vg 88 I use boss gx700 for effects
Old 11-23-2002, 07:02 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

scott theres a pca member down here that is supposedly a tele guru...he mentioned a bunch of tele guys that he had hotrodded equipment for but i didnt recognise any of the names (i've been outta touch tho). he worked w/ paul at prs for a bunch of years in the 80's and then did the tele work after that. from what i understand hes mostly doing amplifiers now (gutting them and building them to 60's specs....he had a mountain of vintage amps just sitting in his laundry room!), i could dig up his number if you want.

did moped ever release anything on vinyl, maybe some 1st pressings laying around for sale?? im a vinyl nerd too heheheh
Old 11-23-2002, 11:17 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
I am pretty well fixed as far as guitar sources go, but would love to be able to buy from a Porsche guy, so if you happen to have his name, email it to me. Chances are, if he's a serious player in the vintage market, I already know of him. Most of my gear gets serviced through George Gruhn's shop in Nashville, they are about the most knowledgeable shop in the world when it comes to vintage gear, and George is a great guy.

Most of our vinyl pressings were self financed/limited release stuff, but we did manage to get three albums out that got national distribution. Good luck finding them anywhere tho, I think we might have sold a combined 30,000 records total in all (this was before Soundscan tracked record sales, so no one knows for sure). Not the stuff legends are made of! lol I certainly didn't get rich off it! The only vinyl I have left is hanging on the wall, pretty much everything else was given away as promotional, was thrown out by one of my ex-wives (if you didn't know this already... rock'n'roll and marriage is a poor mix!) or was deemed suitable for frisbee/large drink coaster use only. I have access to the master tapes but need to fix my Struder two track deck before I can do anything with them. I have been strictly digital for the last ten years or so... its hard to beat Protools. One of these days, I will get the Struder serviced and transfer the masters to digital.

Regards, ...Scott

Quick Reply: OT-free guitar strings