Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Suspension Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Early cars had much softer springs. The manual says my M030 springs are 140#.

What is the tire rubbing? The strut/spring or bodywork?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
factory fronts for a 944 should be 160 and rears are equiv of 126.

im going to 200 because i dont want to change comfort very much but need new springs because the OEM ones are sagging and rolling the body through harder corners (only on right turns where my weight is on the outside of the turn) and rubbing the tires.

also the 200s will lower slightly.

Get your sway bar links and bushings checked out. If the bushings go floppy, you could end up with a car that leans radically.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:13 PM
rmconner80
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Believe me, indexing t-bars is a lot more than "a little extra work" than bolting in rear coilovers.
What I was trying to say, although unsuccessfully, is:

New Torsion Bar Installation + Indexing New Torsion Bars

should be roughly equal to

New Rear Coilovers + ReIndexing Existing Torsion Bars

... in terms of amount of work.

In other words, both scenarios assume you must index the torsion bars to get the correct ride height.

In my (admittedly limited) travels, I have read that when installing rear coilovers you usually need to reindex torsion bars also, or you have a pretty good rake with a high rear ride height. My point was if you gotta do it anyway, might as well just do a little extra work to get the simplest setup and lightest unsprung weight (i.e. using new higher spring rate torsion bars, or better yet hollow torsion bars).

In your case, it sounds like you got the ride height you wanted without reindexing. That's a major coup and in your case it makes total sense to NOT have to reindex anything, if you get the ride height you wanted. So, if you can get coilovers to work without reindexing, that is a great choice.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:28 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by rmconner80
...when installing rear coilovers you usually need to reindex torsion bars also, or you have a pretty good rake with a high rear ride height...:
You can fit rear coilovers with or without the torsion bars.

If you fit them with the torsion bars still installed they act as a sort of 'helper' spring and in most cases you will need to reindex your torsion bars to obtain the correct overall height/balance/geometry. Doing it this way losses you a lot of benefits of coilovers such as quick height adjustment, corner balancing and spring rate changes.

If you remove the torsion bars and go for a coilover only set-up then don't have to worry about reindexing anything and you can adjust everything to your liking very quickly.

Unsprung weight is also better with a coilover only set-up. Compare the weight of the torsion bars with coil spring and you will see a big difference.

M
Old 06-13-2008, 12:49 PM
rmconner80
Advanced

I didn't know you could go with rear coilovers and no t-bars. Good stuff here - thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:13 PM
kinematics
2nd Gear

Default Coilovers vs Torsion bars

Before you remove your torsion bars you might want to have an idea of the direction you want to take your car. Many race classes require the torsion bars to remain connected. If you are just DE, then no worries. If you were to removing the TB and get the car all set up for competition, then later find out you have to re-install the TB, you would waste some serious time and money.

I am slowly building a Super Cup car and there are quite a bunch of things to consider when installing a new suspension. I am a hell of a long ways from having it all figured out. I read, read, read, listen, listen , listen, procrastinate, then stop and procrastinate again. Karl at Racer's Edge has proven invaluable as have the guys on these forums. I still havent turned a wrench on the suspension but after a month of talking to various people I have finally started to assemble the parts I need. Now, if I could just assemble the money I need I'd have it made.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:22 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by kinematics
Before you remove your torsion bars you might want to have an idea of the direction you want to take your car. Many race classes require the torsion bars to remain connected. If you are just DE, then no worries. If you were to removing the TB and get the car all set up for competition, then later find out you have to re-install the TB, you would waste some serious time and money.

I am slowly building a Super Cup car and there are quite a bunch of things to consider when installing a new suspension. I am a hell of a long ways from having it all figured out. I read, read, read, listen, listen , listen, procrastinate, then stop and procrastinate again. Karl at Racer's Edge has proven invaluable as have the guys on these forums. I still havent turned a wrench on the suspension but after a month of talking to various people I have finally started to assemble the parts I need. Now, if I could just assemble the money I need I'd have it made.
+1^ I am at the same stage, have raced in the UK but the rules are different here and it's a learning process. I think rear coilovers are not permitted in PCA B&C (stock/prepared classes) but are ok in 944Cup/Supercup. I could be wrong - it's all so confusing.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:21 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Im pretty sure that PCA allows rear coilovers as long as you maintain the torsion bars. I think the logic is that there was a 944 CS model that had helper springs (similar to a 968 M030) in the back so you can legally update to those specs. If you want to race in PCA and 944 cup, you can run a cup car in the SP1/2/3 classes with PCA. SP1 is 944 spec, SP2 is 944 cup and SP3 is 944 Super Cup. My car for example will be legal to run in 944 Cup, SP2(its legal for SP1 until I replace the shocks), and SCCA ITS. I like the idea of having multiple venues to play but youre right the rules can get a bit confusing.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:57 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

SP1 (944Spec) you have to keep the torsion bars and they can be a max of 30mm effective. Limits you to about 400lbs front if you want to match.
I run 350# front with 30mm rear torsion bars.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As I understand it the Koni rear coilovers are legal in PCA B but the torsion bars must remain. Mine is a (street legal) SP1 car but I wish I went straight to a "B" build as there aren't many, if any, SP1 cars in my area at the events. My car is at the shop right now for a new rear sway and upgrade to the coilovers.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:09 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

You may be right on what is allowed in B but SP1 isn't B. If you don't have any 944Spec (SP1) cars to race against then I understand wanting to go to something that gives you some competition.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:14 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J Silverman
Im pretty sure that PCA allows rear coilovers as long as you maintain the torsion bars. I think the logic is that there was a 944 CS model that had helper springs (similar to a 968 M030) in the back so you can legally update to those specs. If you want to race in PCA and 944 cup, you can run a cup car in the SP1/2/3 classes with PCA. SP1 is 944 spec, SP2 is 944 cup and SP3 is 944 Super Cup. My car for example will be legal to run in 944 Cup, SP2(its legal for SP1 until I replace the shocks), and SCCA ITS. I like the idea of having multiple venues to play but youre right the rules can get a bit confusing.
Originally Posted by JerryW
You may be right on what is allowed in B but SP1 isn't B. If you don't have any 944Spec (SP1) cars to race against then I understand wanting to go to something that gives you some competition.
Agreed, that was my point. Seems like most are SP2/SP3 or PCA B, no SP1 cars around here.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:55 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chrisc
Agreed, that was my point. Seems like most are SP2/SP3 or PCA B, no SP1 cars around here.
My car is SP1 legal at the moment. I guess Ill have to come down to RA and keep you company in SP2 then.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Koni yellows will handle 400# springs. Im running the SP1 suspension at them moment (400# springs, 30mm TBs) and its a decent compromise suspension.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by J Silverman
Koni yellows will handle 400# springs. Im running the SP1 suspension at them moment (400# springs, 30mm TBs) and its a decent compromise suspension.
J:

Is the cage done?

PS: So my t-bar + coilover setup is legal somewhere? Cool!

Quick Reply: Another Suspension Question...