Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket & Head Experts, I Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 07:54 PM
yarin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom, I know you spoke to Adrial about it a while ago... We could help you do the head gasket, i'm sure the 3 of us can master it. If you don't have the tools and stuff at your house, we do. Definetely let us know.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> If your competent mechanic is afraid to do the job then he might not be so competent. If he does not want to because he can't make any money that fine, but afraid?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Actually it isn't money. it is the bathroom he is building, the hot rod he is building, and the other jobs he does in addition to his full time job. he does me a favor by working on my car. he is one of the rare mechanics that actually thinks before he turns the wrench. he wont do the job if he cant start and go straight through. too many chances for error he says.

if the head is warped, and there isn't enough room to shave it has to be baked. that ties up his garage, and parts may move etc. it just isn't worth the aggravation to him, and i respect him for being honest up front instead of starting the job and stringing me along. I have his hot rod truck stored in my garage next to my firebird so he has room in his garage for my car.

last year his wife blew a gasket of her own after looking at his guards red 62 ford pickup with flames etc. next to my guards red Porsche, next to his red vette convert, next to her red grand Cherokee in her driveway garage. to say she was seeing red is an understatement.

Yarin,
too many chances to screw up. the cost benefit analysis says let a guy who will warrantee the work do it.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:18 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Bryan:
<strong>8 valve and 16 valve heads are not interchangeable</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">if you were doing a rebuild & could find an '89 2.7 (8 valve head & interchangable) with a destroyed short block then it might be reasonable...you'd have to machine your pistons for the 8 valve reliefs...but then you could have a 3.0L, 8 valve without the worry and lots of low end pull

in theory at least
Old 06-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
the swap to an 8v is the last resort. i might drop the car off this weekend because i have a compulsive personality and cant stand cars that arent 100%. the rest of my life doesnt matter, but the car has to be 100%.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket & Head Experts, I Need Advice