Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: I hate my job, How do I get into Game development?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 01:51 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OT: I hate my job, How do I get into Game development?

SO I'm sitting at work, contemplating jumping off of a tester in hopes that I can get Medical leave, or at least the pain might be better than the boredom or stress I seem to fluctuate between. I started realizing that I am so far astray from the carear path I dreamed of when I went to college. Software design. I want to code games. I've seen allot of you renlisters are techno junkies, anyone know how to get into the field? Is there a hit list I have to complete? An initiation? A magic password? I guess it's back to work for me...
Old 11-21-2002, 02:14 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<a href="http://new.wavlist.com/movies/317/ofsp-mondays.wav" target="_blank">From what I see....</a>
Old 11-21-2002, 02:25 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am moving into an office on Dec. 1 that I will share with a game design company (Farsight). I dont know, but I'm sure I can ask the owner on the scoop on this. All his employees are young, self-conscious nocturnes that come and go at all hours - almost stereotypical, I know. You wanting to be one of these guys? Well, it doesn't seem on par with trying to be a working actor or anything. Email me privtely off list your phone # and I'll see what I can dig up early Dec. for you.

Man, life is way too short, don't do 40-60 hr's a week of something you hate
Old 11-21-2002, 08:35 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Man, it sounds like you work at Donnelley with me

On the flip side, who else can feel that overwhelming sense of releif and joy when they actually get to LEAVE work...?

Yeah, think about it like that!
Old 11-21-2002, 10:45 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Roberto,

What degree do you have? What are you doing now? If you write something impressive you can probably get in most anywhere.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

You might become active in some of the open source projects at sourceforge and freshmeat. You'll meet other game programmers and get good experience.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:46 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Umm, Have you even tried to get in? Trying is the first step? If you have tried. the next logical step would be to work on your own game to submit. If you are not able to make your own game.. that would be the problem I would think....... You do not get anything handed to you.. Sorry but that is REAL life... You get what YOU make of it..
Old 11-21-2002, 01:10 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

wells its not the programming code end of it...do some custom maps for whatever multiplayer game is hot right now ....i think battlefield 1942 is the hot one, but im outta touch. i know mapping isn't what your looking for but it'd be a good way to get connections w/ other aspiring gaming industry types. (million different games skinned over quake III heheheh)

Quick Reply: OT: I hate my job, How do I get into Game development?