Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coverlay Dash Cover - Better Install Method?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM
jmd_forest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coverlay Dash Cover - Better Install Method?

I recently purchased the injection molded Coverlay Dash Cover and would like some opinions on installation. The instructions say to use the provided silicone seal sparingly around the edges. I'm thinking that installing it more like one installs a formica countertop would be better....use a notched trowel and spread an adhesive over the entire surface. I'm considering using urethane windshleld adhesive as opposed to the silicone seal provided with the kit.

Anyone have any experience or opinion on this?

jmd_forest
Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

i did mine in the spots and it worked fine, until the cover warped on me (read: always sunny in san diego).

be careful if you ever take it off, the silicone spots are hard to get near the windshield. a year later i still have a few dabbles left lol.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:47 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd_forest
I recently purchased the injection molded Coverlay Dash Cover and would like some opinions on installation. The instructions say to use the provided silicone seal sparingly around the edges. I'm thinking that installing it more like one installs a formica countertop would be better....use a notched trowel and spread an adhesive over the entire surface. I'm considering using urethane windshleld adhesive as opposed to the silicone seal provided with the kit.

Anyone have any experience or opinion on this?

jmd_forest
You'd better make sure you never want it off if you go that route.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:31 PM
jmd_forest
Advanced

Exactly. I never want to deal with it again once the dash cap is in place, hence the urethane adhesive. I don't want it to warp or jiggle, or move, or squeak, or do anything but look and act as close to a factory dash as $100 can buy. But to do that, I believe it needs to uniformly adhere to the original dash without gaps underneath, hence the notched trowel idea.

Anyone have a good (permanent) experience installing their cover?

jmd_forest
Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 PM
lilredpo
Pro

I installed per instructions, dots etc.

After a few years it warped due to hot sun and windows closed. Called Coverlay, no problems, no questions, they sent me a new one for $20 to cover S&H.

I highly recommend, look's good and great customer service!

Quick Reply: Coverlay Dash Cover - Better Install Method?