Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIX or SELL : What do you think gang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Red_Envy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIX or SELL : What do you think gang?

OK, so I finally get my Supercharger running perfect with tons of power and ordered some new fun parts like round driving lights and clear signal lights and have the body done so there's no other 944 the same as mine and then....

I take my car in for an oil change and driving it home I get a clacking and whining noise from the car. (amost think they did something to it at the shop) Take it back and the guy tells me, it's probally a torgue tube issue or transmission but won't know until we take it apart. hmmm, seeing as I can't do the work myself I am stuck paying $90 /hr here in Ottawa to have it done.

Not sure I can sell the way it is...still works fine but noise is there. Spend $3k to have it fixed... or think I'll get much by selling it. Into it for 25k.

Your thoughts?

Here's the car...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2217079/5
Old 06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

is the noise coming from the rear???

if so your trans is done. N/A transes can be blown easily with N/A power, now that you are supercharged it was just a matter of time.

Don't rebuild it, swap in a trans from an S2, they are much stronger and the gear ratio will suit ur car.

Another thing I would do is upgrade those brakes, all that power and fancy bodywork is useless if you cant stop the car and smash it

Old 06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet looking car! You need to fix that one for sure and keep it!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:30 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I concur -- I also grenaded my tranny very shortly after an engine upgrade. If that's the case, replacing it with a used tranny is not that hard to do. Try to go for an LSD tranny, seems to blow up less often, preferably from an S2 -- but turbo tranny might be easier to find, but would have taller gearing.

To check: drain the transmission oil. If you find any flakes, then the tranny is toast. You can open up the crankcasing and look for something like this as well:

Old 06-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Might not be the tranny or torque tube at all, just a ring and pinion failure. Not a walk in the park as repair jobs go, but not worth junking the car either.

I agree that upgrading your tranny would be a good way to go if you'd added a boost.

Here's an S tranny on eBay for $50. It has a broken ring and pinion, but you can fix that before having it swapped by a repair guy (and that's not a huge deal at all).
Old 06-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Red_Envy
Instructor

Yeah.. the sound is coming from the front, actually.. (underneath the motor, it seems) Inside the car, it sounds like the pullys. I just had a belt tensioner installed and thought it was that but the mechanic says nope. Car only has 79,000 miles on it and because it still shifts fine...am thinking either torque tube or something like the ring and pinion.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

If it was gear shearing you wouldn't be able to shift, period. I've had my tranny blow up on a drive, it's an experience -- but it's not an experience that sounds like what you're having. Might be the torque tube issue. If it was a ring and pinion issue, it would have gotten sucked into the rest of your tranny and ripped apart your gears. Ring and pinion failure is NEVER minor, it's epic and loud and not at all fun. If you're still driving your car and it doesn't feel like it's going to vibrate apart, and the car has no trouble staying in gear, it's not an R&P issue.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:13 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No way you'll get close to what you put into it, keep and fix. I plan to do an LS1 swap in my car, and at that point it will be unsellable because of the cost to me and what I would get for it.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Anyway, I would at least pay the hundred bucks or whatever to diagnose the prob.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:43 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

very nice looking car!
Old 06-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Red_Envy
Instructor

sent for a 2nd opinion... as it seems I had the belt tensior done and then the sound started I got a feeling it's too tight and the supercharger alignment is messed up which won't be any less expensive to fix but totally in another direction. So I guess for now...FIX wins...maybe I'll sell it once it's fixed...try a newer car or something. Hey thanks, btw!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Red_Envy
Instructor

UPDATE:
So I took my car back and guess what: misdiagnosed. Bad they did that but good for me. Turns out my suspicions were correct. The belt tensioner was too tight and gave too much stress on the Supercharger shaft causing the propeller to scrape on the housing. Luckily it caught in time before and serious damage occurred. They loosened it up and found the right tension. No more noise and supercharger appears ok..(need to confirm on dyno) This was a huge miss by the mechanic but I guess, he didn't have much experience with my kind of supercharger. In the end, he didn't charge me anymore $ and it now works great, so am happy. What a scare
Old 06-13-2008, 05:13 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

That's a relief. However, I would seriously consider upgrading transmission and brakes, now that you've got that blower in there.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sick car man. that is just nice...
Old 06-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Red_Envy
Instructor

Yeah, good advice!... just called Whate Tail, no LSD Trannies in stock. Hope to find one with low miles and put in over the winter.

Quick Reply: FIX or SELL : What do you think gang?