Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change of plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 09:52 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Change of plans

Well the head's off the car. It turns out it wasn't the gasket, but I'm going to go ahead with a new gasket anyway.

However, at this point I'm questioning what to do next. There's a good bit of carbon built up on cylinders 2&3 and as you can see from my compression test results (see 'Head gasket time!'), I was getting lowered compression in those cylinders.

If I wanted to do a complete overhaul and freshen up the engine so that I'll have good compression and peace of mind knowing that the car is in perfect running order, what would I have to do?

I'm not entirely familar with what I'd need to do, but I'm already this far and I'm not too worried about going further. The only thing I don't want to do is pull the engine.. I'd like to be able to drive the car by the end of the month (if I work every day, etc).

Eventually this car may become a track car, but that's not for another 10-15 years down the line.

The question is: What's involved with a rebuild (as much as can be done with the engine in the car)? Also, what kind of price (parts) would it cost to go over everything to make sure it's in tip top shape?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 05-19-2003, 09:57 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick, you basically just want to go ahead and do a head rebuild. If the cylinder walls are in good shape (not scored)...then thats pretty much all you can do from the top end of the motor...

Quick Reply: Change of plans