Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sad pic, vette vs lamborghini crash

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 10:12 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
Boost,
The crackdown on ocean parkway had an affect on PCA events too.

At the march or april autocross a couple of jackasses that weren't autocrossing decided to drag race on ocean parkway near the autocross site. One of the retards was driving a porsche, and took a video that he had posted somehere on the web.

Next thing you know the lot is filled with state troopers, and the autocross chairman is dealing with the troopers.

End result, extra police presence at autocross events, and more information needed on autocross applications (like drivers license no etc) in case something happens again.

It takes the actions of a stupid few to royally screw it up for others.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:50 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by xcessiv:
<strong>Hmmmm.... Who has more of my attention. The tailgater behind me or the Lamborghini next to me, hmmmmm. What exactly do you have to be doing to hit a parked school bus.</strong><hr></blockquote>

UH, what are YOU talking about? The lambo WAS the car that was tailgating. ANd, to let you know,just if you don't get it, the accident caused the vette to crash into a TREE, not a schoolbus.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by Tom R.:
<strong>Boost,
The crackdown on ocean parkway had an affect on PCA events too.

At the march or april autocross a couple of jackasses that weren't autocrossing decided to drag race on ocean parkway near the autocross site. One of the retards was driving a porsche, and took a video that he had posted somehere on the web.

Next thing you know the lot is filled with state troopers, and the autocross chairman is dealing with the troopers.

End result, extra police presence at autocross events, and more information needed on autocross applications (like drivers license no etc) in case something happens again.

It takes the actions of a stupid few to royally screw it up for others.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is that the lot at nassau colluseum you're referring to?
Old 12-13-2002, 12:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No,
It was at Tobay in march or april.

The cops were waiting for us at nassau because of Tobay.

Thats why I was walking the registration line telling people we needed their license number.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:53 PM
TheJonesBoy
Advanced

I like police presence at large autocrosses. The more jackasses that get tickets, the fewer that show up, and the less BS/accidents/cone-replacing that needs to be done.

As far as the accident, it looks like his lawyer did a crappy job. Not that I really care, but I hope he fares better on the appeal (there will be an appeal, won't there?)
Old 12-13-2002, 03:48 PM
xcessiv
Instructor

So he is innocent, right. With all those reliable accounts, I can't understand how I could have been so wrong.

Even if your idea of the account is correct, the Corvette driver had to be racing, there is no other reason for him to be in the vicinity of the Lamborghini at 90 mph.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:48 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike S- you're absolutely right- I just looked up some stats that I found on a website ~1yr ago- I know that one or two of the cars had modified brakes (bigger rotors, calipers, etc) which really doesn't do much to shorten single distance stops- not NEARLY what people would think- throw BR's on a regular 951, and it might FEEL like a major improvement, and may well be on a Racetrack lap after lap, but it wont greatly reduce your stopping distances for single stops- from 100mph, maybe ~10ft- I've been messing w/my Turbo S- cast-drilled rotors, (supposedly) better pads, SS lines, 5/33 bias valve- didn't help one single FOOT from 60mph- (123ft) it DOES FEEL better though- BTW- I would LOVE to get a few #'s on braking distances for our cars- I mean personal car stats w/G-Tech or something...

Anyway, here's the short list- remember a stock E36M3 stops every bit as short as a Turbo S- I want to say this E36 had BR calipers- E36M3's already had BR size rotors- the Supra is an HKS, so it is probably modded too- not sure about the others- anyway...

E30 M3- 363ft
E36 M3- 334ft in 4.5sec
HKS Supra- 326ft in 5.1 sec
MB C36- 340ft in 4.9sec
911T (not sure what yr)- 363ft in 4.6sec

This would mean that a stock Turbo S, w/decent modern day street tires, should take somewhere around 360ft to stop from 100mph in ~5 sec, depending on reaction time, etc. 60mph is 88ft/sec, so 90mph is 132ft/sec, and that's assuming that a Volvo is not coming at you at 40mph at the same time...

Anyway, IMO- I DO think that Hart's sentence, from what I have read, is a little stiff. Should he be punished in some way? Well, if it is indeed true that he was actually racing this guy, and I tend to think he was in some form or other, then I think the answer is, yes. But, jail time? I think that's a little harsh considering it wasn't he who went across dbl yellow...

Silverbullet- you mentioned that it wasn't a bus, but a tree- I was wondering that very thing when I first posted here- some had said it was a bus- I didn't see that part, so there is some confusion somewhere. But, regardless, the Lambo was behind- why else would he come around and pass on dbl yellow? The redneck looking witness that ended up suing(!?) Hart had said he never even saw the Vette, but had seen the Lambo, weaving back & forth, etc- would make sense, as the Lambo would be blocking his view of the Vette, therefore, having to go around it to win. Makes it sound to me as if the Lambo driver, was the antagonist- not that Hart was little Ms innocent, but let's be realistic- "Well, the guy we want to punish is dead, so let's fu** w/this other guy..."

The biggest prob w/this is that we are getting second hand info from people who weren't even there- stories change b/t people so easily- throw in the fact that journalists oftentimes don't care about the truth, only for a story, and you have a big mess. BTW- the highway in question- was it a 2-lane or 4-lane? It sounds like a 2-lane, by the way the Lambo went around, and listening to that guy's account, but the woman in the Lambo said the Vette was beside them at a light. They couldn't have been beside each other on a 2-lane road, but if they were on a 4-lane, then it's even worse that the Lambo went over dbl yellow to pass- I mean hell, your not supposed to pass on the right- but compared to crossing dbl yellow to pass, passing on the right would definately be considered the lesser of two evils. So what is it? Is the highway a 2-lane or 4-lane? Or, does it go from 4-lanes into 2-lanes maybe?
Old 12-13-2002, 05:33 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

driving fast on ocean parkway always worried me, i figure since everyone always talks about racing on there the cops obviously know and they are out there somewhere, i dont really want to deal with getting my car taken away or something... last night we went to an empty industrial road in bethpage where grumman is to test my friend's honda after installing his nos kit and as 2 cars were lining up 2 cops pulled out of some back parking lot behind us... oops!
Old 12-13-2002, 08:37 PM
boostaholic
Instructor

Robby-

The road is def. a 4 lane but not a highway. I think the speed limit is 40. It is an industrial area with residential side streets. It seems to me that would be a foolish place to race if only because a lot of police hang out there.

Anyone know which direction they were going?
Old 12-13-2002, 09:13 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

They were going to towards Long Beach.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:50 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info- being a 4-lane makes it even worse IMO- why the hell did the Lambo pass on the left into oncoming traffic? Also, that makes the redneck looking guy's statement seem pretty strange, to me anyway- he said he never saw the Vette, only the Lambo, and it was weaving back & forth in front of him- maybe there was traffic on the right or something? But if THAT were the case, then by the time they had exceeded 60mph or so, especially at wide open throttle, then anyone in the right lane should have been left far behind, leaving either lane to pass freely in. OR, were there cars in the right lane racing too? I shouldnt joke about this, and I don't think the end to the situatioon is funny AT ALL, but damn- we are obviously missing some facts. I guess it COULD be possible that Hart had gotten out in front, and was trying to KEEP the Lambo from getting around him, possibly forcing him to go to the left(?). Of course, iut was still the Lambo who did it- it was his stupidity, but, that would make it seem a little more irresponsible of Hart, thus making him share the blame a little more- hell, I dont know...
Old 12-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

If you think about it, how can all these people come up with such elaborate stories? The speed the lambo was going was around 90, with these kinds of cars, bieng at the 500 hp and over range, i think the race must have been only a few seconds long. How could have people seen so much in so little time? I'm sure lots more saw when the accident happening because of the noise but i doubt a lot of people saw the race when it ws going on, before they could even notice it, it was over. I don't get it.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:12 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Just to tell you, a poll was installed almost exactly where the accident occured , and instead of a street light being there, there is a digital speed sign. Telling everyone what speed they are going. I think the racing there is over.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:38 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Two lanes each direction with a parking lane on each side, speed limit is either 30 or 40, stores, restaurants, industrial buildings, and the depot for the school bus company on the sides.

From what i remember reading while commuting on the train, and hearing from my wife who works with the volvo drivers neighbors, the lambo crossed the yellow and hit the volvo head on. driver to driver took the impact. i think kids were in the volvo.

the lambo went left to pass somethinf, anf the vette went right. if the pole wasnt there, the vette may have hit the fence to the bus yard, or driven away after going up on the sidewalk.

Quick Reply: sad pic, vette vs lamborghini crash