Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bay Area- Summer Wrenching

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I'm pretty sure I have a reasonably good used snap ring lying around if you are desparate.

As for the alignment tool, it depends whether you have an early 3-piece valve, or the later 1-piece versions. The one piece valves can act as their own alignment tool really, by seating the OPRV before torquing the housing bolts to the block. The early 3-piece valves require the alignment tool, however, so that the plunger doesn't get caught in the bore. The 87 924S came with both style valves unfortunately, so you will probably need to remove the valve to know for sure which you have.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:44 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josephsc
There's a car club that rents one of the warehouses on the former Naval Base -- there's a bunch of different kind of guys who rents spaces in there (a model T restoration guy with a lift, a NASCAR guy, a jaguar guy, etc, etc...). Nice storage space where the landlord doesn't mind you wrenching in there -- and has air for your tools. There's also 928 shop somewhere in there (www.928developments.com), but I've never met the guys who run it.
Do you have the contact info for this storage facility. Since Bay Area Motor Club closed in SF, there is no other place around to wrench for big projects.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:04 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackCar
Do you have the contact info for this storage facility. Since Bay Area Motor Club closed in SF, there is no other place around to wrench for big projects.
The Vallejo club is called "Boyz Under The Hood", and the contact person is Chip (Jerry) Carter ( Chipnkim at aol.com ). There is another club located in Richmond Point -- the guy advertises on craigslist from time to time under Parking & Storage.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Leon the Professional
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I'm pretty sure I have a reasonably good used snap ring lying around if you are desparate.

As for the alignment tool, it depends whether you have an early 3-piece valve, or the later 1-piece versions. The one piece valves can act as their own alignment tool really, by seating the OPRV before torquing the housing bolts to the block. The early 3-piece valves require the alignment tool, however, so that the plunger doesn't get caught in the bore. The 87 924S came with both style valves unfortunately, so you will probably need to remove the valve to know for sure which you have.
Thanks for the offer Tom, I ordered that and a bunch of other small parts (like flywheel bolts), so they should be coming soon. And thanks also for the oil cooler info.

In other news, I had everything laid out as I needed to put everything back together. Of course, someone comes and moves it all, without asking if perhaps it's important that where they put it and how may effect things. So my question is, are the upper and lower balance shaft sprockets EXACTLY the same?

But yeah, I'm pretty pissed because of this debacle.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:17 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Yea... it's a good idea to get a whole bunch of freezer bags and bag parts and label them.

Anyways, the balance shaft sprockets are exactly the same (same parts number).

And, in case you don't have a copy of the PET, you need it. Follow this link:
http://snipurl.com/2enan
Old 06-09-2008, 03:54 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josephsc
I just received it yesterday -- and drivetrain still runs strongly -- such a shame to part her out....
You wrecked your 968?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:07 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Yep -- the wrecked 968. It's been sitting in SoCal for a couple of years now. But I'm done with commuting 400miles and hauled everything (the entire fleet) back up to NorCal.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

He has a wrecked 968 in addition to the nice blue cab you're thinking about.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Leon the Professional
Intermediate

Default As of yesterday...

I received the parts I ordered, had the oil cooler removed, but unable to remove the oil cooler element from it. Perhaps the seal formed quite firmly against the housing, making it very difficult to remove?

Getting the oil cooler itself off was a PITA since I was unable to remove the exhaust headers. Currently just cleaning up the mating areas for the gaskets and parts to go back in . Should be done (optimistically) by Sunday.

Joe-thanks so much for the tools, especially the breaker bar. It has come in handy many a time so far.

Quick Reply: Bay Area- Summer Wrenching