Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Danno - Question for you

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 11:47 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Post Danno - Question for you

Danno, you have posted in the past about using the Super AFC on a 944 Turbo. I have recently aquired one in a trade with a friend and am looking at installing it when I get my car back after it's engine rebuild. I noticed that the S-AFC is not listed as an application in the manual. My friends say I would just need to get the proper initial settings from someone who has installed one before. Have you done this? Do you know what the settings are to get me started? I plan on hooking up the boost sensor instead of the TPS to make it boost dependant. My friends in the RX7 community have done this with success. I am running a K27/8, APE Stage 2 chips, stock injectors and will probably be getting a rising rate FPR. Any suggestions you have for set-up would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2002, 06:30 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That was the HKS S-AFR unit I was talking about earlier I think. The Super-AFC is a similar unit so it would function similary. You'd want to configure it for an analog MAF with 0-5v range (Mazda uses 5-0v range I think).

Initially, you want to set it up with everything zeroed, so the MAF signal is passed through unmolested. Then check your AF-ratio gauge or dyno printouts to see where you need to massage the signal and dial in it, that's it!

The other issue is the type of tach input. The HKS unit requires a digital tack input, not sure what the Super-AFC uses. But that shouldn't be a problem either. Good luck - danno
Old 04-24-2002, 08:59 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Out of curiousity, what if I were to buy a Pro-Flow Mass Air Flow sensor? Could I use the Super AFC to adjust the signal? Is there something that the ARC 2 or MAC 2 does that changes the signal so that the stock ecu can read it? Just wondering because I can get Pro Flow sensors from my local Mustang Performance shop for considerably less than a kit would cost. Just wondering if this is a reasonable assumption.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, since the Pro-Flow unit is used by numerous tuners out there with their own piping and chips, I'm sure you can make your own kit. Just make sure the sensor you have covers the range of airflow volume you'd be using. Don't want it maxing out and clipping the signal at the high-end. But that doesn't really matter since the DME ignores air-flow signals at high-RPM/full-throttle anyway. But you want easy driveability at other times as well. Here's what a typical MAF-sensor signal looks like:

Then any piggy-back signal-massager between the MAF and the DME like the ARC2, Super-AFC, HKS S-AFR would change the shape, and slope of that curve to fool the DME into matching fuel to the flow. The end-points however, should still be the same.

Quick Reply: Danno - Question for you