Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just when i thought my night wouldnt get any worse...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 03:30 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post just when i thought my night wouldnt get any worse...

well it finaly happened, my car is dead. as of about 8:30 it has been sitting on a street on the southern side of town, were it will probly be for a few days collecting parking tickets. i was driving around with my friend eric and as i shifted into 2nd i heard a loud sound. i thought i had just topped out the gear so i held int he clutch to let it wind down. as i goto put it in 3rd i notice... there is no power going to the wheels.... greeeeeat. so my guess is my clutch is gone. when i put it in 1st and let out the clutch all the way i can hear a faint grinding type sound. the car almost wants to roll a little bit but then it jsut smells liek eggs. so im trying to find a flatbed to bring it to my house tomarrow. i hope its the clutch and not my whole freakin transmission just shot. i wonder if i should go se if its in the street by the car. hmmm. so is it my clutch or not... someone should know from experience....
Old 11-02-2002, 06:30 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything dragging on the ground back by your transmission?
Old 11-02-2002, 06:36 AM
afx
Racer

Talking

I hope it is nothing major for you, dead p-cars are no fun. I got my second 944 about a month ago and the timing belt went after about 2 weeks... I am in the process of putting it all back together now. Even though these cars may have their faults, I am glad to have a 944, they are really nice cars.
Old 11-02-2002, 09:59 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Check to see if one of your cv axles hasn't fallen off. This happened to me. Same scenario.
Easy fix, although I would recommend new bolts.
Good luck.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:58 AM
BartW
Racer

kind of too sudden for your clutch to just let go like that, usually they give you warning for a while and they most likely will show slippage in 4th or 5th gear before 2nd, a slipping clutch would also make the car move, the only way your symptoms could be caused by the clutch would be if the disc just exploded. I would check the CV axles, torque tube, slave cylinder (make sure your clutch operation is working)
Old 11-02-2002, 12:33 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So you pushed in the clutch while in first, shifted into second then the let the clutch out then a clunck? I would say the cv's came loose IF the clunk occured while the clutch was pushed in. Something tells me that you would know if your cv's were coming loose long beforehand though... The only other new item I can thing of is ring and pinion if you were driving hard. Best of luck.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Cass944
Drifting

no i shifter out of 1st at about 6000 rpms and went into second real fast and let out the clutch really fast... like an idiot, so the clutch was all the way out when it did it. it happened as soon as i let it out though. so yeah maybe it isnt the clutch. when i go back over to see it today ill see if anything is hanging. i dont remember any sounds of anything dragging though. for a while i was hearing a clunk sound every time i went into gear. which was what i htought to be the U-joint. but i never got around to fixing that. as long as i dont have to take apart the engine or clutch ill be happy to take apart some cv's. thanks for your help. ill probly need more in a week or so.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:32 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Was there any driveline lash beforehand?

When my clutch went I was cruising along about 60, nice and easy and suddenly no more go...

Others have blown the center doing holeshots and banging gears hard though.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:43 PM
special tool
Banned

Hey Cass - see if you can get some new cv bolts and bring your allen sockets - you might be able to squeeze under there and drive it home.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

just to say again what everyone else said, sounds like cv joints. That clunk that you talk about when goign into gear is usually a sign, its loud in 1st and then not so much in 2nd and so on and you prolly couldn't even hear it giong into 4th right?
Old 11-02-2002, 08:10 PM
thelard2
5th Gear

triscadek has a point. If there was lash in the drive line it is probably due to the fact that the rubber center hub on the clutch plate was gone and you where driving around whith only the small metal part thats designed to be a "limp home" back up system propelling you. I know this from first hand experiance, I lost my clutch just like you did.

Just my $.02
1990 S2
Old 11-02-2002, 11:05 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quick way to figure this out.

Pull the inspection plug on the drive tube, let the clutch out in gear and see if the shaft is spinning.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:17 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by Cass944:
<strong>no i shifter out of 1st at about 6000 rpms and went into second real fast and let out the clutch really fast... like an idiot,

for a while i was hearing a clunk sound every time i went into gear. ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Coupled with one of your prior posts a bit over a month ago, you get to replace the clutch.

While you are at it put new gas springs on the hood. That 2 x 4 you use (shown in one of your pictures) must take up a lot of room in the car.

Speaking of maintenance when was the last time the timing belt was replaced or retentioned?
Old 11-03-2002, 01:15 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by PeteL:
<strong>Check to see if one of your cv axles hasn't fallen off. This happened to me. Same scenario.
Easy fix, although I would recommend new bolts.
Good luck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bingo
Old 11-03-2002, 05:14 AM
Cass944
Drifting

thats what it looks like on both sides... if one of them is messed up i would be able to tell by looking at the right... because htey look fine form what i saw. how can i find the problem from here... even with the car in gear i can spin the wheels with my hands. ( i have the rear end raised up)

Quick Reply: just when i thought my night wouldnt get any worse...