Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Less expensive alternative to fog lights (still Bosch)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 01:44 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Post Less expensive alternative to fog lights (still Bosch)

I'm chatting with someone about getting some of these and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a group buy. I'm not 100% sure of the price yet, but I think they are around $40 USD for the pair, and then maybe $15 in shipping or so (from outside the US). The guy is a 944 owner I sold something to on EBay. They are made by Bosch, but obviously not factory (but also not $70). He said it fits into the existing housing, with a tiny bit of retro-fitting, but fits great. Let me know if anyone is interested.

-Matt
Old 11-01-2002, 02:31 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can he do anything for we Turbo owners? Mine look like 'frosted' glass at this point....
Old 11-01-2002, 03:22 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brian,
you can quite easily make your foglights like new.I have a pair which i restored useing stuff from guy who makes lenses for space telescopes.This material cost only few euros.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:45 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

So.. are you going to tell us what it is you used? Or do we get to guess..

I guess.... Toothpaste! (Heh, cleans up plastic motorcycle shields well).

Old 11-01-2002, 06:05 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have allready explained what stuff i have used in this procedure.I suppose you can find it from the archives
The difficult part is to translate all of those names to english.
They have not any trademarks etc.
Most of necessary stuff can be found from the stores which sell space telesocope items.
If you can locate somebody who makes his own telescope lenses then you will get the right info.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:40 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Matt,

I wish you had posted this last week! I just bought the closest Hella product I could find to OE at my local Auto Parts store, the Hella FF75 "Free Form Driving Lamp System," which set me back about $60 for the pair.

Installation was pretty much plug-and-play. I couldn't use the existing holes in the sockets, but had to drill a single hole in each side to mount the lamps. The set comes with complete wiring, switch and relay, but I didn't use this since I connected the lamps to the existing wiring on the car. I assume the original wiring has a built in relay somewhere, since the OE lamps were 55W as well.

They work very well and my lighting has improved dramatically over the "sandblasted" original lenses, but the FF75s don't look nearly as clean as the picture you posted.

Thanks anyway!
Old 11-01-2002, 11:09 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brian,

You don't have the european fog/driving light that has a working driving light side do you? I don't have all our e-mails handy but don't think you do.

In that case you probably want to save your pennies and buy a set at some point in the future and not mess around with trying to polish up your existing lenses. They are pretty expensive, about $125 each if you shop around but one Rennlister found one side for under $100 which is the lowest price I've ever seen.

But if you want to polish out the road rash do a google search for DIY telescope lens/reflector construction as Olli noted. There are several companies that sell polishing kits. Beware that this takes a long time to do correctly and you are going to wind up with a lens that is thinner, down to the deepest pit. So it will be easier to crack if you catch a rock. Do not underestimate the time, there is a reason big reflectors take years to build.

The time required to do this right and the resulting thinner cross section are a couple reasons glass shops don't bother trying to do this with windshields and just replace them.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:21 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by IceShark:
<strong>Brian,
re: 951 fog light lenses.
They are pretty expensive, about $125 each if you shop around but one Rennlister found one side for under $100 which is the lowest price I've ever seen.
.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it was $82 with free shipping from thepartsbin.com. But the other side was double that. Someone else had the other side, Paragon?, for not much more.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:08 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

$40 bucks and looks far better IMHO.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:41 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote] but I think they are around $40 USD for the pair, and then maybe $15 in shipping or so <hr></blockquote>

My nephew might be interested, Let me know what you get worked out.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 11-01-2002, 09:38 PM
Ryan Z
Pro

mouse....i remember u getting those lights...they make the 944 look different, in a good kinda way, i think. were they really $40? how hard was it to mount them in there? what company were they from? thanks
Old 11-02-2002, 06:08 AM
Tabor
Drifting

mouse [CTY],

Who makes them, any good?
Old 11-02-2002, 12:06 PM
Ryan Z
Pro

i want to know! lol

Quick Reply: Less expensive alternative to fog lights (still Bosch)