Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch went out - thinking of selling the 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Miata?? Form a Porsche to a Miata??

Originally Posted by normansan
It only gets 12 around town. On the highway it gets around 23. Weird.

I'm really considering a Miata though.

Take it from me, don't go for the Miata, it is a chick car by every measure...

When my clutch detonated on the 944 I put it on stands took it apart, and bought an Audi TT Quattro, the TT is a fun car, and the AWD kicks a**, 20MPG city 28MPG highway if I keep my foot out of it, just make sure to get the Quattro, so far I have put almost 3000 miles on the TT, and should have the 944 back together this week, maybe next.....

If you can find one get the 250, or a 3.4 more HP is all it needs to be every bit as much fun to drive as the 944....Just make sure it is a Quattro...
Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How long have you owned this car?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:11 PM
normansan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this car for 3 years now, and I absolutely love it and I would hate to sell it, but it seems like every time I fix something, something else breaks.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by normansan
I've had this car for 3 years now, and I absolutely love it and I would hate to sell it, but it seems like every time I fix something, something else breaks.
I know exactly what you mean. But hang in there long enough and it becomes a free ride... eventually!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Default Thinking of selling....

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I know exactly what you mean. But hang in there long enough and it becomes a free ride... eventually!
Or become an independent contractor, My tax deduction last year was 1200 more than I spent on my car.....
Old 05-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it makes sense to go to the trouble and expense of fixing the clutch and then selling the car. Someone else gets the benefit!

Fix it, then put off the sale for a year at least ...

(though that low mpg is a bit troubling)
Old 05-26-2008, 08:02 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default please explain

JohnKoaWood said,

Or become an independent contractor, My tax deduction last year was 1200 more than I spent on my car.....
Does that mean you opened your own repair shop?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Something is wrong with your car if you are getting 12 mpg. Your clutch has been slipping or the O2 is toasted since you've owned it or you have some other issue. I get 25 mpg on Fun Runs with a K26/8 pushing the car very hard. About 50% of that might be getting to and from on a freeway but still nothing near 12 mpg. Where else can I find a serious performance car with that kind of gas mileage? Sell it cheap if you want but even my BMW 325 iX only gets 21-22 mpg max and it's a slug in comparison to the 951.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Default To fix or not to fix...That is the question

Originally Posted by rickb20
Does that mean you opened your own repair shop?
"Engineering consultant" as an independent, I don't get any benefits, or any taxes taken out of my check, but because I am self employed, and my home office is my home office, I deduct the mileage I drive to and from work (74 miles each way) my deduction for mileage on my 944 was a grand total of $6500 and even after my dealer change out of motor mounts and timing belt ($1100, and buying the car $4200) I came out on top last year...Sorry not trying to hijack the thread...

Back to the topic, I would say replace the clutch, and enjoy the car, but my point of view is skewed, if you can manage the cost replace the clutch, it isn't difficult (hardest parts are dropping the rear suspension, and making sure you got all the bolts out of the bell housing),

IF you cannot afford or do not want to fix the clutch, let me know, I have told the wife my next Porsche purchase is a 951, so I might be in the market soon...

If you are looking at getting into a new car, more like the one you are driving, look into a GTI, an RX7(hard to find one worth the $$), or my route, a TT(It seams Audi drivers tend to take better care of the Sh** than most other imports I have looked at. A Miata will leave you wanting the thrust of the turbo, the rush of the blow off, and the over all driving fun of your current driver, and yes I have driven all these cars, I worked for a Mazda dealer a few years ago, and I gotta tell ya the Miata is cute and all but really.... (PS the base TT is FWD, as is the base GTI if you go this route make sure you get the AWD you won't be let down, the only similarity your 951 and a Miata have is RWD, and unless you are buying new, the Miata may turn out to be more than you really wanted to get into)

Quick Reply: Clutch went out - thinking of selling the 951