Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:41 PM
mzman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal feel

Last week when I was driving around my brake pedal suddenly went very soft, usually there is hardly any pedal movement to apply the brakes, now there is a inch or so of squish before it starts to brake. Not only that but it happens randomly, I can be driving and the pedal is nice and firm then one stop its really soft, then after 10 or 15 mins its back to firm. I am guessing that I have a air bubble in the line? I just want to know how it got there, the brake fluid was always between min and max. And what is the best way to fix it? Will it work its self out? I have limited tools here at school.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have access to a 7mm and 8mm box wrench? If so, bleed the brakes. If you can get under the car, you can even do it without removing a wheel... although it is easier to do (and cleaner) when you do it with the wheels off.

It's an easy process, but just be careful if you're jacking the car up & clean up any spilled brake fluid (stuff eats paint like nobody's business).
Old 05-22-2008, 03:06 PM
mzman
Instructor

Ya, I have those wrenches, but last time I bled the brakes on my NA it made the pedal soft and no matter how much I bled them it never went back to the firm pedal, and I don't want to make it that way all the time on my turbo.

When I was bleeding them on the NA back home I used my motive pressure power bleeder thing because the basic way just sucked air into my clutch.

My pads are due for a change they have started squealing pretty bad not to long ago, could the worn pads have anything to do with it?
Old 05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like a similar problem as described in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/324700-brake-question.html

Do you mean that the brake pedal travel is greater than normal and once it starts braking then the pedal becomes hard (indicating the above problem), or do you mean the pedal is soft even after it goes through its travel and it starts braking (which might indicate air in the lines)?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If it's not what austin944 pointed to, it could also be a master cylinder. Put your foot on the brakes slowly/lightly when the car is running. If it pedal keep sinking, it's probably the seals in the master. Usually if you stab at the brakes they feel fine.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

If your pads are that worn and your driving the car hard and not braking with proper technique, you could have boiled your fliud. Porsche brakes are one of the true highlights of these cars. Get new pads, check the master, do a motive bleed with and assistant on the brake pedal and push new fluid through the system. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
mzman
Instructor

Originally Posted by austin944
Sounds like a similar problem as described in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324700

Do you mean that the brake pedal travel is greater than normal and once it starts braking then the pedal becomes hard (indicating the above problem), or do you mean the pedal is soft even after it goes through its travel and it starts braking (which might indicate air in the lines)?
Yes, it has lots of travel then goes hard. Then sometimes its hard right from the beginning so there is almost no pedal movement required to stop the car.

All seemingly random times, not just around corners, going down the interstate I get different lengths of pedal travel.

Today I will try stabbing at the brakes to see if its the master.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:02 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like the 'knockback' problem described in the link I posted. Try the wheel bearing looseness test in that thread.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:12 PM
mzman
Instructor

Going around corners had no effect, and pumping the brakes once doesn't fix the problem, it will stay soft for 10 stops on the interstate, then all of a sudden it goes back to normal, all in the time span of 10 mins.

It is hard to tell but it seems like stabbing at the brakes when idle works fine, but when i slowly push it sinks in.

I will try the wheel bearing looseness test today.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:23 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mzman
It is hard to tell but it seems like stabbing at the brakes when idle works fine, but when i slowly push it sinks in.
Master cylinder. Classic symptom. I would bleed your brakes first just to be sure. And by bleed I mean complete fluid change. Get a motive or other power bleeder to do this if you don't have one. You'll need it to keep your sanity when you have to change the master anyway.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal feel