Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood strut warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 75ohm
I'm perplexed how this would tank the windshield unless something goes awry - someone enlighten me so I avoid this disaster!
Originally Posted by Fluidplay
....maybe if i just put my shoulder on the hood and raise it up j u s t abit....CRACK!!!
Yep, that's how

Raise the hood up too far, and the pointy end contacts the glass. What I did was to lay out a towel on the glass, then put a piece of corrugated cardboard over the towel... I was hoping that feeling/hearing the cardboard would stop me from going too high with the hood.

Come to think of it, a flat piec of metal (eg, a piece of pop/beer can) under the cardboard would help spread out the point of impact.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
The 968 Coupe windshield is available without an antenna and it's late model.
Yes but the 968 coupe has a little rubber strip at the bottom of it. Something to do with the airbags. This windshield will work if you cut the rubber strip off.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
LeMans71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap, I've read those warnings, but I thought the issue was that if you lifted too high the hood would CONTACT the windshield and crack it. I replaced my struts last weekend, and when I lifted the hood and asked my lovely assistant (my wife) to hold it, it wasn't even close to contacting the windshield. So, I thought "no problem." I had to do the old 'muscle it up with my shoulder' to get BOTH struts in. I was either lucky (no "POP!"), or I've got a crack I don't yet know about - I'm almost afraid to look. Hopefully I dodged the bullet this time - and I'll be much wiser in the future thanks to you guys sharing your experiences. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss(es).
Old 05-20-2008, 11:50 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Yep, that's how

Raise the hood up too far, and the pointy end contacts the glass. What I did was to lay out a towel on the glass, then put a piece of corrugated cardboard over the towel... I was hoping that feeling/hearing the cardboard would stop me from going too high with the hood.

Come to think of it, a flat piec of metal (eg, a piece of pop/beer can) under the cardboard would help spread out the point of impact.
"I see" said the blind man... thanks for sharing.

In my effort I had the hood propped up with the infamous shop vac extension and somehow managed to manually compress those things.

Quick Reply: hood strut warning