Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy question: How do I get this off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM
544DRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy question: How do I get this off?

I need to clean these grounds, but the "nut" that protects this connection seems invincible to my attempts at persuasion.

How do I get this off? And, what is it called--precisely--so I can get a new one if I mangle the original beyond recognition?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give a liberal squirt of WD-40 and let it soak for an hour or so.

Insert the socket fully with an extension attached
Then hit the extension a couple times, this should "wake" the bolt.
It is very important for the socket to fully seat in the bolt head, then try to break it loose again.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in Portland are you? We have a few of us in the area, and can possibly help out on certain jobs.

What you are looking at is an intake manifold bolt. It is not a nut a hex socket cap screw. You need a hex driver socket. The proper ones are zinc coated and can be had from Sunset or probably cheaper from paragon or pelican. You can get black oxide coated ones at Parkrose Hardware on Sandy or Wichita hardware on Johnson Creek.

Smoky has you covered... put some penetrating oil on there, wake the bolt up with a sharp hit from a hammer, and use a nice long extension and ratchet to give you some leverage.

Wipeout, myself, and Andy1212 are all here in town. There are some other local 44 guys too but they don't post here too often.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:40 PM
eniac
Drifting

It looks like just a normal allen head intake bolt. Use the method above to remove it then replace with a new bolt. You can replace it with a hex head bolt if you are unable to find an allen bolt locally. Also the grounds should be on the top bellhousing bolt to the engine, not on your intake manifold bolt. Not sure if that matters at all but that's where they are stock.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 PM
544DRS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
Give a liberal squirt of WD-40 and let it soak for an hour or so.

Insert the socket fully with an extension attached
Then hit the extension a couple times, this should "wake" the bolt.
It is very important for the socket to fully seat in the bolt head, then try to break it loose again.
Thanks! WD-40 applied and soaking.

Originally Posted by schwank
Where in Portland are you? We have a few of us in the area, and can possibly help out on certain jobs.

What you are looking at is an intake manifold bolt. It is not a nut a hex socket cap screw. You need a hex driver socket. The proper ones are zinc coated and can be had from Sunset or probably cheaper from paragon or pelican. You can get black oxide coated ones at Parkrose Hardware on Sandy or Wichita hardware on Johnson Creek.

Smoky has you covered... put some penetrating oil on there, wake the bolt up with a sharp hit from a hammer, and use a nice long extension and ratchet to give you some leverage.

Wipeout, myself, and Andy1212 are all here in town. There are some other local 44 guys too but they don't post here too often.
Thanks, Eric. I'm past Troutdale, around Springdale, near Dabney State Park. And thanks for letting me know what this part is...I could tell it's not a normal nut! I'd like to meet up with y'all and discuss 944 stuff. My car is just getting put back together: I bought it in January, started rehabbing it soon thereafter, but I broke some ribs and started work again, which slowed things down. We've got a lot of curvy roads around here, which is the reason I needed the 944!

Originally Posted by eniac
It looks like just a normal allen head intake bolt. Use the method above to remove it then replace with a new bolt. You can replace it with a hex head bolt if you are unable to find an allen bolt locally. Also the grounds should be on the top bellhousing bolt to the engine, not on your intake manifold bolt. Not sure if that matters at all but that's where they are stock.
Interesting, man, I had no idea. I'll put'em back once I get the dang intake manifold bolt off!

Thanks again, everyone!

Nick
Old 05-15-2008, 09:28 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check for a store called Fastenal in your area.
They are a great source for metric hardware. They can be found most anywhere.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 PM
544DRS
Instructor

Default Mission Accomplished!

The bolt has been removed. Went to Parkrose Hardware and got the necessary tool, and it took about ten seconds to complete. I guess that "cover" confused me, and with the grounds being in the wrong place, I couldn't ID them appropriately.

Thanks again for the help.

Nick
Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear it worked Nick. I am down in Milwaukie. Wipeout and Andy are in NoPo. I've done just about everything to these cars at this point so feel free to PM me with any questions. Parkrose is the best place to go by far... they have the best metric selection in town, especially in 10.9 grade. Fastenal is ok but more expensive and more limited hours. Plus Parkrose is local

Would be good to have a GTG. My next race is at PIR on June 7... Darren (Wipeout) will be out there for sure. There are also a couple other PNW 944 drivers who will be out racing as well.

I know Dabney well... I am a disc golfer too Mt Hood is awesome for fun roads. We do the Hood River fruit loop each year, and I love the top end of Cooper Spur road. It is pretty much a given that the apples end up all over the back of the car! Lucky that most of them end up applesauce....
Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its good to see another local! There seems to be quite the 944 group growing in portland. Us portland guys should have a drive sometime this summer.

Winks Hardware is where i go if Parkrose doesnt have what im looking for. They have the largest hardware selection i have found.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:03 PM
544DRS
Instructor

Thanks for the heads-up, Andy. Hey, I have a question for you.

Your signature says you've got the Infinity Kappas...do you like them. I have two pair that I planned on installing in my 944. Both pair are 3-way, though, a 6.5" and a 6x9. I was going to put the 6.5" speakers in the door and the 6x9 in the rear speaker holes (previous owner had Nakamichi round speakers there). I have an Alpine processor (PXA-H701) to go along with my head unit (Alpine CDA-9857) that'll help me dial in the sound. Also thinking about putting something in the center speaker hole, so I can get the 5.1 surround, but why??? I don't know. Because it's there?

I haven't gotten to "stereo" yet, because I'm still sorting out more important things, but I'll be there soon.

Thanks,

Nick

Quick Reply: Easy question: How do I get this off?