Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam gasket leaking-questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 07:04 PM
meng
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post cam gasket leaking-questions

I did a leak inspection as three different fluids have been detected as leaking- coolant, PS and oil. I found the coolants leak (no big deal) and the PS leak(also no big deal but I have questions about that later) and oil leaking onto my exhaust which is producing vomit inducing odors. Well I found more than one leak. My oil level sended is leaking which I will take care of. but main leak, onto the exhaust is from the cam gasket. where the clylinder 3 &4 is. I intend to change the gasket myself in the near future however just a few questions:

1.If I decide to change this gasket, how much more work would it be to go deeper and change the headgasket.
2.Is it absolutely necessary to remove the cam belts to change the cam gasket? because I read someone posted that they left the cam gasket in place.
3.I am currently using a synthetic 5w50 and maybe this would be a cause of the leakage. If i go back to a regular oil like non-synth 10w-40, would this clear up my leakage problem as a temporary solution? or is it too late once it starts?
4.My oil pan gasket is leaking pretty badly as well should this be done at the same time? IT is on the bottom...

Thanks in advance all your continued supports.
Sorry for the long post. I have to learn to be more succinct.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:01 PM
944Play
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by meng:
1.If I decide to change this gasket, how much more work would it be to go deeper and change the headgasket.
<hr></blockquote>
A LOT! Like, three times as much work (on an NA - possibly double that for a turbo). For just the cam tower, you don't have to drain coolant or remove manifolds.
[quote]
2.Is it absolutely necessary to remove the cam belts to change the cam gasket?
<hr></blockquote>
I changed head gaskets without removing the cam belt, as in I un-tensioned it and slipped it off the cam sprocket while leaving it under the rest of the belts. There is no need to touch other belts. Don't drop any lifters!

Quick Reply: cam gasket leaking-questions