Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well this is a wierd one.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003 | 02:35 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

Post Well this is a wierd one.

Coming home from Boston tonight. The turn signal indicator would start flashing on it's own. I can re-create it by tapping the windshield washer or High beams, and sometimes it will stay blinking until I tap the high beams.

But the turn signals aren't flashing.

Don't say grounds, been there, done that.

Michelle, your cruise control brain is done and will head out Monday.
Old 05-18-2003 | 05:29 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Relay? I had similar troubles on my '83, and my past '85. Relay on the new one, short in the harness under the dash in the old one.

In my current one there was also a wire that was fried, connected to the light switch. I removed that and my headlights started working properly again.

Sid - I sent you an email, don't know if you got it! Please let me know.

- Julie
Old 05-18-2003 | 12:30 PM
User 41221
Banned

um, probably not your "grounds", but you might want to recheck your "f'ing grounds" lol

You might want to pull the turn signal stalk off the column and look it over. It might be a contact on the turn signal switch, or else a short on the wire harness for it. Its easy enough to pull apart and check.

Regards,
Old 05-18-2003 | 01:10 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I warn people when I turn cause my horn beeps when I use my turn signal.

Got to pull the steering wheel and take a look.
Old 05-18-2003 | 02:16 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

Right, so I'll pull apart the harness. And the steering wheel, cuz I did futs with that to fix the washers.

Julie. Didn't get the mail, think I go an old one from you I'll reply too.
Old 05-20-2003 | 10:27 PM
goody944
Advanced

Lightbulb

I've got a similar issue. If I'm in 'dimmer' mode, and use the left turn signal, headlights go off. If I'm in 'brights' mode, turn left signal, no problem. Except I'm on brights all the time, even when DIM. (are you still with me?) In other words, dim mode never works.

So brights on, headlights aimed low,is my temporary workaround.

Could MY problem actually be the wiring harness too? I've had the assembly out and looked at it, but haven't undone the rivets and really dug into it. If so, where exactly was the harness and relay problems on yours, Julie?

TIA

Goody
Old 05-20-2003 | 10:41 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Could it be your hazard lights button sticking?

If not, since the actual blinkers don't blink, the instrument cluster board has a short on it - pull the cluster (you can do it w/o pulling the steering wheel of) and check it...

NOTE: 85.5 and later models only

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2003 | 03:41 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

I pulled the light switch out from the back and looked for a burned wire causing a short, and it was there. If you look in my thread on it, you will see it hanging until we fixed it last week. Had to wrestle the wire harness to see if there was anything else wrong, but it was only my headlight pop-up light motor, and we had to cut that wire out. Got another motor to put into it's place, and I'm going to have to rerun another wire into the harness so it will work again. Otherwise lights up for now.

Relays are above the fuses on my '83, and I suggest you go to <a href="http://www.clarks-garage.com" target="_blank">www.clarks-garage.com</a> to find the specific location.

Good luck!

- Julie

Quick Reply: Well this is a wierd one.