Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine problems -Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 03:31 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It looked like it just failed, permanently open. She got worse the night before being smogged, and just didn't have any power. That was the only cylinder who's spark plug was black; we did a test with another spark plug, and it was black in 5 minutes, while the other ones where all white.

The car was drowning and choking lean at the same time.

When we pulled that injector, it just poured out gas, while the others didn't leak at all.

I am going to soldier on a replacement electrical connector, just because that one's metal spring broke off, but it was definitely running juice, and staying on.

Ignition system looks great, all sparkplug wires firing nicely.

The engine was shaking alot, and vibrating things, but it did that since day one.

Before we replaced the injector and put in Bosch Platinums plugs, we did a compression test on all; these were the results:

#1, 155-160 (obtained 160 after a few cranks)
#2, 160
#3, 160
#4, 160-163 (is the variance because of the (problems we had on #1?)

According to the book, the cylinders are all doing pretty good, with 145 psi being the lowest acceptable.

So, we just replaced the injector and all 4 plugs, and WHAM!

OMG, she IS a PORSCHE! I can't believe the difference, like a totally different animal. She'll toss you firmly back into the seats, and that's just an N/A...I know, 951s are faster, but hell this made a great step up!

Heh, I had thought maybe my memory of my other 944 was just a glorified memory, but it sure wasn't!

Still have a few bugs to work out, like possibly the oil cooler didn't seat right, hard to tell right now.

Thank you all for your help!

- Julie

Quick Reply: Engine problems -Solved!