Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a Turbo S for sale...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdeano
Oh how I'd love to own a Lotus elise/exige... I dont care how uncomfortable they are or the fact that they dont have a radio, I'd DD the hell out of one!
A very close friend of mine just got a California Edition Elise in yellow. They lost a 5 day old baby a month or two ago, and her name was Elise. Seeing as how they have a good deal of money coming in due to his heritage (read: Neither has to work), it was the perfect thing to do. I believe the CA Edition does have a stereo, but I'm not positive. I was too busy drooling over the really beautiful black and off-white interior to notice (why couldn't 944s have that instead of beige?). My favorite thing is the how the entire bottom of the car is covered, à la the cover pic of either Car and Driver or Road & Track of the F355 from 14 years ago that showed it from below. I love how it just looks like a race car.

Last edited by alex; 04-28-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I like Loti too and I'm always trying to decide what my favorite color is. Still no luck. I'd have to have at least two of them, one for my happy days (cream white) and one for my darker moods (dark metallic blue with gunmetal stripe).
Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
That about sums up the market value of any 944/951
for that money i can buy a lotus elise with less than 20k miles or his 90k 951. HMMMMM, big decision.
I think (but not positive) )they run more in the $40-$50k range.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:05 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpideySlave944
I cant believe those words were just uttered by your fingers, let alone that you thought about it long enough to type them.... I am so dissapointed!

EDIT: I just threw up a little in my mouth re-reading your post.
These are all from the passenger's seat perspective, but my grandfather purchased an 84 S in 86 (I was 6). That was the first time I'd ever been over 100 mph in a car. I thought it was awesome. By the way, all the 928s I talk about are 5 speeds, if that gives you any indication of how my family feels about sports cars.

Then, my uncle Bret, who is no longer with us, bought an S4 when I was 14- he was 34. We'd go pick up a movie at blockbuster and as we were leaving, lay down rubber for for 100 yards (and not in a straight line). He was so in control, I never felt that I was in danger. He also was my adopted dad- mine went down in a small Cessna when I was 8, and uncle Bret took care of me. I would go over for the weekend or even on school nights and he would take me at 7 am to HS. Nothing like rollin' up in style to high school. He also ordered and picked up an '83 944. Much later, a few years after he'd gotten rid of the shark, he picked up another 944 as a commuter car. He also purchased me my first car- an alpine white '84 944 with beige & brown 2 tone interior (V2- this is the car we pulled those parts from- though I did have to buy it back do to some really dumb things I did). This was a month after my 16th b-day. He was the first and last to take me over 150 mph. There is a reason my final baby was named after him- though I probably should have named him after uncle Brad since he's alive... and loaded! Brad also had an 84 944 that he purchased a couple years later 2 years old.

Finally, uncle Cody (who happens to be 4 years younger than I) has a 928 GT in midnight blue (V2- I should have taken you over to see). It is just a beautiful car (I mean, once it gets a new spoiler). He is not too pleased with the blue/cream interior, but all the same, it is an awesome car. I'm actually going to put his ruf speedlines on here to gauge interest.

So that is my Porsche upbringing: all watercoolers. As a matter of fact, I did not care at all for 911s until the 993 came out. After I do my V8 swap, a 5 speed S4 or GT will be the next purchase.

Sooooooooooo, I know it's in fun, but there is some underlying bitterness betwixt the 2 factions. Maybe it is sibling rivalry? I cannot comprehend why some RListers bash the 928- have they ever driven one? Anyway, I love them. The pre S4 body doesn't get my heart racing, but I'd certainly take a well sorted S.

Just my $0.37.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called on this car and the guy just doesn't get it, I just sold a 22k 1989 turbo S, for 24, and he wants 28, and it isn't even bone stock... I tried to help but he didn't want to listen. I tried though.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:37 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

1st off lets clarify something, Inside Porsche (PAG) and pcna, the turbo s is only the 1988 siver rose models, those are the only ones listed as a specific model. None of the non silver rose turbo's are an s by model designation, and especially the 89's are not turbo s's. They are equipped with the s package as an option, (which was the only way they came in 89)they are not designated an s by model designation. So a late production 88 turbo in any other color then silver rose is considered an s.

For example, in 2005 you could get a 996 twin turbo s, (which was the same as a standard turbo, except it came standard with the engine power package and Porsche ceramic composite braking system pccb's) and you could order a standard turbo with pccb's and the power package, but it will not be considered an s. It has to have the model designation from porsche, stating it is an s. Same applies to the 944 turbo s. If it an 89 it's not an s, if it's not siver rose, it's not an s, it is a turbo with the s option package. That is how the cars are considered and classified by Porsche.

O.K. rant is over.

Semper fi.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

That about sums up the market value of any 944/951
for that money i can buy a lotus elise with less than 20k miles or his 90k 951. HMMMMM, big decision.
Originally Posted by empiredsn
I think (but not positive) )they run more in the $40-$50k range.
I was at the Ferrari/Lotus dealer a few days ago.

Low mid 30s for a 2005 Elise with a whopping 3-5k miles. A high mileage Elise is one with 15k miles on it according to the sales manager.

Soooo, assume the crackhead with the 89 951S (yes it is an S even though it doesnt have the designation, and the S option was available on 951s in 88 as an option making it a 951S) thinks it is really worth what he is asking and will take 25K. I would find a high mileage elise for that money.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 AM
fastmover
Pro

Soooo, assume the crackhead with the 89 951S (yes it is an S even though it doesnt have the designation, and the S option was available on 951s in 88 as an option making it a 951S) thinks it is really worth what he is asking and will take 25K. I would find a high mileage elise for that money.
Do you want to place money on that? Just because it was optioned it will not make it an s, by model designation, If it is not a designated model it is not recognized by Porsche as an S plain and simple, it dont matter if it has the option code on it, it is a 951. PM me and I can put you in touch with people in Porsche that would confirm this for you if they would feel like educating some more people. For the 944 fans within Porsche that is one of their biggest pet peeves. Trust me I hear from them all the time when a 951 topic comes up in conversation. Also the S option was available to regular turbo's once the Turbo S (SE in europe) production run was over. Hence the reason why there is non silver rose turbos with the s package. Once the turbo s production run was completed, you could not get silver rose or the plaid interior any longer. Because the Turbo S was a special limited run, 89's are not s's, they are 89 951's Just because Porsche upgraded the turbo in 89 with all the 88 951 S goodies still dont make the 89 an S even though it is the same car. The color, interior and the model designation is what makes it an s, all I am saying 89's and some 88's are being misrepresented, they are not Turbo S's.

Semper fi
Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

who cares they are still slow. :P
Old 05-02-2008, 09:08 AM
fastmover
Pro

Originally Posted by xsboost90
who cares they are still slow. :P
They are all slow untill they're modded!

Semper fi
Old 05-02-2008, 02:54 PM
86_951_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmover
Hence the reason why there is non silver rose turbos with the s package. Once the turbo s production run was completed, you could not get silver rose or the plaid interior any longer. Because the Turbo S was a special limited run, 89's are not s's, they are 89 951's Just because Porsche upgraded the turbo in 89 with all the 88 951 S goodies still dont make the 89 an S even though it is the same car. The color, interior and the model designation is what makes it an s, all I am saying 89's and some 88's are being misrepresented, they are not Turbo S's.

Semper fi
I get it. It's like Moes. You can order a Homewrecker, or you can order a Joey with Guac and Sour Cream. They are the same burrito, but ones a Homewrecker and ones a Joey with Guac and Sour Cream. Don't try to sell me a Joey with Guac and Sour Cream and call it a Homewrecker!!! Me and my Porsche friends will kick your freakin a$$!!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

And also... 99% of the people out there dont care if an '89 turbo is actually an "S" or not. They want bigger brakes, better suspension, and a bigger turbine. I wouldn't care if it was marketed as the "pony" edition, its still a better stock car than 86-88 (non S or S packaged non S cars {see how wordy you made that get}).
I'm sorry your friends have a violent physical reaction to hearing an s package non s turbo called a "turbo S" by mistake, but I would tell them to cut back on the stress. Even young people have heart attacks.

This makes me want to call the 89 cars "turbo S" even more lol.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmover
Do you want to place money on that? Just because it was optioned it will not make it an s, by model designation, If it is not a designated model it is not recognized by Porsche as an S plain and simple, it dont matter if it has the option code on it, it is a 951. PM me and I can put you in touch with people in Porsche that would confirm this for you if they would feel like educating some more people. For the 944 fans within Porsche that is one of their biggest pet peeves. Trust me I hear from them all the time when a 951 topic comes up in conversation. Also the S option was available to regular turbo's once the Turbo S (SE in europe) production run was over. Hence the reason why there is non silver rose turbos with the s package. Once the turbo s production run was completed, you could not get silver rose or the plaid interior any longer. Because the Turbo S was a special limited run, 89's are not s's, they are 89 951's Just because Porsche upgraded the turbo in 89 with all the 88 951 S goodies still dont make the 89 an S even though it is the same car. The color, interior and the model designation is what makes it an s, all I am saying 89's and some 88's are being misrepresented, they are not Turbo S's.

Semper fi
OK, so then:
A 88 951 that is silver rose is a 951S
A 88 951 with the S package is a 951?
and a 89 951 is just a 951.

so what is a 88 with the S package that is not silver rose? I say it is a 951S (as opposed to a 951S Silver Rose) you say it is a?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If it has the S option package (88 and 89) then it's an S. Are you a spokesman for Porsche or have intimate knowledge of the inner workings of their model designation database?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

FYI: My original window sticker does not make any mention of a special designation for my car (and my car IS a Silver Rose car). All it says is that it has the "S option package" and then lists "Silver Rose" farther down the list. I'm sure if Porsche only meant for cars like mine to be true "S" cars, they'd notate it on the invoice so people could "ooh aah" about it to their friends. Lemme know if you want me to scan it for you, too.

-Darwin

Last edited by Darwantae951; 05-03-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Found a Turbo S for sale...