Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering a 944

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:55 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper31
Joe - Where did you get the eyebolts and how did you attach them?
Home Depot. I drilled a hole in corner cubby and bolted them down. The body is very thick there.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:10 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance you have a pic from inside the cubby?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope.
Nothing handy. It should be pretty obvious though... Drill hole and back up with washer & a nut. The eye bolt is like 6" long, but so what. There is plenty of dead space in there.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z- I tried my wheels and it didn't work that good for me. You said something in the past abotu a deparate axel strap. Why is taht better then the ccombined strap.
Why didn't it work for you?

It is better since it is far more adjustable and easier to tie down.

-Z-man.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:27 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

I had to put the strap in the lower hole of my phone dial and it seemed to be anchoring agains the fase of the wheel instead of the width of the entire wheel. I also think the car rolled chase it wasn't being held by the side.

Why are seperate axle straps better than the combo straps I have?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

I don't seem to have te factory tow points in the front. Am I looking inthe wrong place. Here's a pic or 2.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:01 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Here's another try at tying the car down usig the wheels. I think the car could have been up a few more inches as it seemed to bounce the truck around when I went over bumps. The problem is the ratchet part of the strap is almost right on the loow on the axle strap part. Also the rear passenger wheel strap loosened up after a 15 minute drive.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think part of the problem is that your trailer is so short, it doesn't give you much room with which to work. What if you had a couple D-rings welded to the trailer frame rails farther forward of the deck? This would give you more room for the ratchet and everything wouldn't be so bunched up. I had extra D-rings welded to my trailer and it wasn't that expensive at all. Just a thought...
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Dan:
Two problems I see on how you tied down the front:
1. Where you put the straps through the wheel is too high. (Especially the driver's side) Look at Shiner's pic - where the yellow line is -- that is where you should be putting the strap. The lower the better.
2. Your ratcheting end should be connected to the trailer, not to the wheel part. (By using a separate axle strap through the wheels, you can accomplish this.)

Two problems I see with your rear setup:
1. I feel that the rears should be crossed, but the fronts be straight. It is a more secure setup that way.
2. Again, you should be putting the strap through the wheel below a lower spoke.

Dan - when are you trailering again - and where are you going? If you're going through NJ, perhaps you can stop by my place in Wayne, and we can go over your trailering setup... Let me know.

-Zoltan.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:49 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Z-man
Dan:
Two problems I see on how you tied down the front:
1. Where you put the straps through the wheel is too high. (Especially the driver's side) Look at Shiner's pic - where the yellow line is -- that is where you should be putting the strap. The lower the better.
2. Your ratcheting end should be connected to the trailer, not to the wheel part. (By using a separate axle strap through the wheels, you can accomplish this.)

Two problems I see with your rear setup:
1. I feel that the rears should be crossed, but the fronts be straight. It is a more secure setup that way.
2. Again, you should be putting the strap through the wheel below a lower spoke.

Dan - when are you trailering again - and where are you going? If you're going through NJ, perhaps you can stop by my place in Wayne, and we can go over your trailering setup... Let me know.

-Zoltan.
Z- Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that. I might be headed to the Glen May 27th but not sure.

I can lower the strap but I was assuming that the point in the middle of the wheel would be best to stop it from rolling.

Unless I am not understanding what you mean, the ratcheting end is connected to the trailer. The way I connected it is I took the separate strap and threaded it through the wheel. Connected the hook to the loop. then ran the strap down to the ratchet whcih was connected to the trailer. threaded that through the spindle and cranked it tight. I could remove the loop and use only the hook on the strap and attach to separate axle straps. Would that be better? Why?

What do you think about what shiner said about welding D-rings off the platform? His drawing makes it look better.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:14 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z-man
"More secure" how? I've been on some incredibly bumpy roads (backroads to LCMT) and never had the car walk sideways. If I hit someone I would rather have the rear straps being pulled in a straight line rather than at an angle. I think of tie-downs just like safety harness belts and keep everything pulling in a straight line. I know there are differing opinions on this, I guess I am just wondering why you feel crossed rears are "more secure".

Dan, I'll be at the Glen on the 26/27 so look me up if you end up going!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Z- Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that. I might be headed to the Glen May 27th but not sure.

I can lower the strap but I was assuming that the point in the middle of the wheel would be best to stop it from rolling.

Unless I am not understanding what you mean, the ratcheting end is connected to the trailer. The way I connected it is I took the separate strap and threaded it through the wheel. Connected the hook to the loop. then ran the strap down to the ratchet whcih was connected to the trailer. threaded that through the spindle and cranked it tight. I could remove the loop and use only the hook on the strap and attach to separate axle straps. Would that be better? Why?

What do you think about what shiner said about welding D-rings off the platform? His drawing makes it look better.
Dan:
First off - what Shiner said is ok, but you are then lengthening the strap -- the shorter the strap the better, IMHO.

Here's something to help you understand what I mean by "ratchet end:"

First off, this is an axle strap. This is what goes through your wheel:

Higher up in the wheel will not make the wheel move less -- the lower you secure the axle strap, the more stable the car will be.

Second, here is the ratchetting tie down that you use to connect the axle strap to your trailer:

The tie down pictured here is in two pieces -- the TOP picture (ratchet end) is what you connect to the trailer, while the other end is what you connect to the axle strap.
In your pictures, the rear tie downs are done the proper way - the ratchetting end of the tie down is connected to the trailer. But the fronts have the ratchetting end connected to the axle strap, and NOT the trailer. That is another reason you are having clearance issues on the front of your car.

Does that make sense to you now?

-Zoltan.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

His fronts and rears are attached the same way.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Oh - I see that now ...

Dan - you gotta loose that ring thing that acts as an 'attached' axle strap. Life will be must better that way.

Also: are you sure your car has to be so far up to the front of the trailer? Have your measured your tongue weight? It should be about 10% of the actual trailer weight -- in your case, it should be around 500lbs, assuming that your trailer + car ~ 5000 lbs.

-Z
Old 05-09-2008, 04:49 PM
NYPorscheChik
Intermediate

hey jeeper....
just a thought... rich and steve (or is it feigelman)..both trailer their cars.... if i remember correctly... you could probably run over to rich's to see his setup... i think he is heading to the glen also...
or i bet at the next AX, you'd get an earfull of how ... i'd like to see IDACROSS the street to show you how... (ha ha... took me a couple of minutes to get that one!) good piece..
J

Quick Reply: Trailering a 944