Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering a 944

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on Thru the wheels.

sorry for the turbo 300zx pix

Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by NYPorscheChik
i bet at the next AX, you'd get an earfull of how ... i'd like to see IDACROSS the street to show you how... (ha ha... took me a couple of minutes to get that one!) good piece..
J

Soda through the nose on that comment....

-Z
Old 05-10-2008, 09:37 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Oh - I see that now ...

Dan - you gotta loose that ring thing that acts as an 'attached' axle strap. Life will be must better that way.

Also: are you sure your car has to be so far up to the front of the trailer? Have your measured your tongue weight? It should be about 10% of the actual trailer weight -- in your case, it should be around 500lbs, assuming that your trailer + car ~ 5000 lbs.

-Z
I am pretty sure the car has to be that far forward. the car is roughly about 3000 and the trailer is 1350 lbs. Was looking for a tongue weight of about 450 lbs. I was getting close to it with the the nose hanging way over the edge of the deck. (was a PIA with my bathroom scale and pipe and wood. My neighbor who drives big rigs and has a huge camper said just put the car forward and see how it feels. The car where you see it in pics is just ok. It seems to make my truck bounce a little on bumpy roads. I tried it with the car further back and is really bounced around.

Originally Posted by NYPorscheChik
hey jeeper....
just a thought... rich and steve (or is it feigelman)..both trailer their cars.... if i remember correctly... you could probably run over to rich's to see his setup... i think he is heading to the glen also...
or i bet at the next AX, you'd get an earfull of how ... i'd like to see IDACROSS the street to show you how... (ha ha... took me a couple of minutes to get that one!) good piece..
J
Thanks Jackie I used it at the awards ceremony and it went over big so I though I'd use it.

I talked to Rich a bit at the Board Meeting so I got some info on what he does.

Soda through the nose on that comment....

-Z
That joke came from our autocross when the generator ran out of gas. Ida picked up the generator and ran it across the street. It was good to see IDACROSS the street.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:15 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Default Update

Here's what I had welded on today:

Which allowed me to secure the car like this:

and this:

With the rear like this:

I then brought the car/trailer to the trailer shop and they usd the tongue weight scale. Got the tongue between 425 and 450 lbs. Felt good on way home.

Is the setup good now? Thoughts/opinions?

(I didn't cross the back cause it would have pinched the clamp mechanism on the hook

Z - I will be getting separate axle straps (although I am not completely sure why).
Old 05-10-2008, 09:51 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks fine to me. I would fashion some kind of sleeve to go over the ratchet strap where it rubs against the edge of the trailer, just to keep the strap from fraying. Maybe some canvas from a craft shop sewn into a tube and slipped over the strap?

I don't know why you would need axle straps. First, they would do the exact same thing your current system does. And second, how would you attach them to the ratchet straps? There is no clip on the wheel end of the ratchet strap to affix to an axle strap is there?

You're good dude. Now go play.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:06 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

When/if I get the axle straps there is a sleeve on the axle strap part of the strap that I will use.

Z-man told me I should get separate axle straps. I am not 100% sure why. Z?
Old 05-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Dan -
That setup is much, much better. Fronts are fine.

But I would still cross the rear straps. That's all I would change.

-Z
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Dan -
That setup is much, much better. Fronts are fine.

But I would still cross the rear straps. That's all I would change.

-Z
I tried that but this was happening to the hooks (although not as bad as this)

Old 05-11-2008, 11:10 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by shiners780

Dan, I'll be at the Glen on the 26/27 so look me up if you end up going!
Missed this before.

Are you going with Metro? I should be there but it is the 28 and 29.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by jeeper31
I tried that but this was happening to the hooks (although not as bad as this)

Then try to rotate the hooks 180 degrees. If that doesn't work, see if you can cross the fronts. By crossing one end, and only one end, the car is less likely to 'twist' on the trailer, should you exert some g-forces on it (as in an accident maneuver, or suddent turn).

-Z-man.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:22 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Then try to rotate the hooks 180 degrees. If that doesn't work, see if you can cross the fronts. By crossing one end, and only one end, the car is less likely to 'twist' on the trailer, should you exert some g-forces on it (as in an accident maneuver, or suddent turn).

-Z-man.
I can definately cross the fronts easier than the rears. I know there is talk for both sides that attaching to the wheels can screw up an alignment. I Don't know what I believe BUT it seems that there would be less chance of the fronts going out of alignment if they were straight as opposed to crossed. I did try them 180 and the hook wont close. I am thinking about having the same loops welded onto the rear as I had welded on the front. Would make it a lot easier.

Quick question? You know the length of your axle straps offhand?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Try crossing the straps in the rear with the car in the postion you now use. The pic from the first time you tried has the car way much further rearward, which obviously made it unreasonable to cross the straps. It will work now with the car more forward.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:32 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
Try crossing the straps in the rear with the car in the postion you now use. The pic from the first time you tried has the car way much further rearward, which obviously made it unreasonable to cross the straps. It will work now with the car more forward.
Tried it with the car more forward and although it wasn't as bas as the picture it did still put pressure on the spring closing mechanism.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I am thinking about having the same loops welded onto the rear as I had welded on the front. Would make it a lot easier.
Probably not a bad idea. That notch in the tie down points in the back of the trailer is really causing the problem. If you can replace it with a more standard type 'D' ring, that could solve the issue. There is no such thing as a trailer setup that fits all cars. I have also been told that it is better not to cross the front straps due to the chance of getting your alignment out of whack.
Quick question? You know the length of your axle straps offhand?
I think they are two feet long - maybe longer.

-Z
Old 05-12-2008, 01:08 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Missed this before.

Are you going with Metro? I should be there but it is the 28 and 29.
I will be there with Niagara just prior to Metro, that Monday and Tuesday. If you want to come up early Tuesday and hang out at the track I can put your name on the guest list at the gate so you can get in, just let me know ahead of time.

Quick Reply: Trailering a 944