Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16v head

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 02:15 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheChampion
Has anyone ever repaired or had one of these 16v heads repaired that suffered the tensioner mount break? Can a normal machine shop do it?
I would guess the answer you're going to get here is the one you don't want to hear. It's aluminum, there are likely other parts damaged due to the mount flying around, and you'd be risking a lot running an engine on a repaired, possibly weaker, mounting point. You could ask around and see if it's repairable, but in the end your best bet is probably finding a new head.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

OK - I found some better shots of the repair I spoke of, above.

Here is the thread where I document the chase, capture and repair of another guy's problem...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l-as-is-6.html

Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding repairs to 16v heads:

https://newsite.hamheads.com

These guys seem to know what they are doing. I've got a 16 S head that has the broken tensioner mount, that I'm considering repairing and installing on my 951 at some point.

I've spoken to Len Hoffman (Hoffman Automotive Machine, HAMheads) a number of times and he has experience with this specific repair.

i have not pulled the trigger on the repair yet, so no firsthand knowledge of quality of repair, but fully intend to work with Len.

Plus, he is sorta local to me in the Atlanta area

Malcolm

Last edited by bumflick; 10-17-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-17-2017, 03:23 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Uhm, gentlemen..., why not make it better at the same time if you need a repair.

I'm taking the precaution for a 944S race engine to do this before it breaks as my pistons and cams are too costly to take the chance at increased rpms.

Mill away the damaged area and affix a new mount pedestal machined from a more durable material.

Don't remember when I saved this picture from the web, so I don't know who to credit for this particular version, but..., something like this -

I fwd' a couple pics and some ideas on this to Performance Developments in preparation to receive my own head, so they are familiar and can probably jump on a solution pretty quick if you sent it to them,

T
Old 10-17-2017, 04:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

...cuz for the cost of having that done you could source a whole 'nuther 944S engine..
Old 10-17-2017, 04:03 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
...cuz for the cost of having that done you could source a whole 'nuther 944S engine..
Not one like mine....

And dude, be forewarned, you are on the verge of being accused of being a "comic".

T
Old 10-17-2017, 04:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Not one like mine....

And dude, be forewarned, you are on the verge of being accused of being a "comic".

T
thats fine, i guess i have to do SOMETHING while at work.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:05 AM
PorscheChampion
Track Day

Thanks friends. I'm Trying to decide whether or not to buy this 944s that's been damaged in this manner. Paint/body is in great shape. Interior is cracked/lacking... he wants $1700 firm... I consider myself mechanically inclined, but so far have only dealt with intake manifolds, injectors, plugs, gas tanks, fuel pumps, etc... havent ever gotten down into the nitty gritty valves/cams/head/timing etc... so this would be my first experience with any of it, would be trying to fix broken head, possibly bent valves, broken chain/tensioner etc... and it's already been dismantled to expose the camshafts which I feel may be harder for me to put back together since I didn't take it apart... hrrrm....
Old 10-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Where is the car? If you don't jump on it, I might!
Old 10-18-2017, 10:29 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Where is the car? If you don't jump on it, I might!
Scott, I wish I had known you needed a 16V head. There was one for sale on CL close to us for forever, I just looked and it's gone now
Old 10-18-2017, 11:26 AM
PorscheChampion
Track Day

Here's a head... too far for me.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/d/porschev-944s-cylinder-head/6347836152.html
Old 10-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikehayes
Scott, I wish I had known you needed a 16V head. There was one for sale on CL close to us for forever, I just looked and it's gone now
Thanks Mike. I picked one up from Lart close to two years ago. I had it checked over at APM. Other than needing new exhaust guides, all else was good.

Champion - what about the car? Care to divulge its location? PM if you don't want any of the other vultures swooping in...
Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM
PorscheChampion
Track Day

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Thanks Mike. I picked one up from Lart close to two years ago. I had it checked over at APM. Other than needing new exhaust guides, all else was good.

Champion - what about the car? Care to divulge its location? PM if you don't want any of the other vultures swooping in...
haha Scott, I don't need to worry about other vultures swooping in, I have you to worry about!! 😄 I plan on getting it tomorrow but, I'm wondering if the actual pistons/bearings can get messed up in this situation?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:04 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheChampion
haha Scott, I don't need to worry about other vultures swooping in, I have you to worry about!! 😄 I plan on getting it tomorrow but, I'm wondering if the actual pistons/bearings can get messed up in this situation?
The valves could definitely have hit the pistons. I'm not sure what usually gets damaged in that situation, but I'd guess the valves usually lose to the pistons. You should replace the bearings while you're in there regardless, if only for piece of mind, it's not too hard. If you plan on rebuilding, then the only thing you should be really concerned about is the cylinder bores/block. As long as those are ok, everything else can be replaced. technically you could get a new block too, but it'd be a pain.

As someone who just bought a 16V (just the engine) on CL and rebuilt the entire thing with no previous engine building experience, I'd say go for it. I wound up at around $4000 and four months of work, but I replaced just about everything and generally went with the highest quality stuff I could get. (Alternatively, I haven't actually found out if it runs yet, so don't listen to anything I say haha)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 PM
PorscheChampion
Track Day

Originally Posted by mikehayes
The valves could definitely have hit the pistons. I'm not sure what usually gets damaged in that situation, but I'd guess the valves usually lose to the pistons. You should replace the bearings while you're in there regardless, if only for piece of mind, it's not too hard. If you plan on rebuilding, then the only thing you should be really concerned about is the cylinder bores/block. As long as those are ok, everything else can be replaced. technically you could get a new block too, but it'd be a pain.

As someone who just bought a 16V (just the engine) on CL and rebuilt the entire thing with no previous engine building experience, I'd say go for it. I wound up at around $4000 and four months of work, but I replaced just about everything and generally went with the highest quality stuff I could get. (Alternatively, I haven't actually found out if it runs yet, so don't listen to anything I say haha)
Haha! I'd love to hear if it works out!

Quick Reply: 16v head