Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the 5th gear rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:23 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the whine on deceleration is likely the pinion bearings...(ask me how I know this) as they get older/weaker the backlash changes and the teeth gnash together more. some of this noise can be aleviated with Swepco 75W90 gear oil. otherwise its a rebuild in the future. eventually the backlash will get so sloppy that the ring and pinion will have some type of failure...likely a tooth will break apart. I've read that some guys have this noise for a lot of years...don't launch the car/drop the clutch on high revs...do some rev matching when slowing and use them brakes more than slowing with the transaxle.
the 5th gear rattle is nothing to really worry about...the 5th gear has more clearance on the shaft and it will rattle with the clutch out in neutral, or when driving at low speeds in a lower gear. a guy I know that works on p-cars says the trannys don't like low rpm driving...you should rev the gears up...but I really don't know how true this is.
the TT bearings will cause vibration in the gear shifter as revs increase...best way to tell is disconnect the transaxle coupler...that will tell the tale.

just my 10 cents.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:43 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5th gear idler noise.

only when idling in neutral.

get it all the time (since 2000) Porsche screw up, they should have fixed it in under w'tee but guess they never did

thicker oil may mask it but not a fan of botching.

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
When my trans lube is warmed up (and only after it's warmed up), I get a rattling sound (sort of like a diesel engine) from the transaxle only when first pulling out with the clutch fully released at very low RPM in first and second gears. Once the revs pick up (over 1,500) the rattle is gone; and there's no discernible noise in 3-4-5th.

I've read about a fifth gear rattle that's supposedly harmless. I hope that's it. The transaxle otherwise works extremely well.

If so, is there any gear lube that's better/worse for this? I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic 75W90.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:14 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
the whine on deceleration is likely the pinion bearings...(ask me how I know this) as they get older/weaker the backlash changes and the teeth gnash together more. some of this noise can be aleviated with Swepco 75W90 gear oil. otherwise its a rebuild in the future. eventually the backlash will get so sloppy that the ring and pinion will have some type of failure...likely a tooth will break apart. I've read that some guys have this noise for a lot of years...don't launch the car/drop the clutch on high revs...do some rev matching when slowing and use them brakes more than slowing with the transaxle.
the 5th gear rattle is nothing to really worry about...the 5th gear has more clearance on the shaft and it will rattle with the clutch out in neutral, or when driving at low speeds in a lower gear. a guy I know that works on p-cars says the trannys don't like low rpm driving...you should rev the gears up...but I really don't know how true this is.
the TT bearings will cause vibration in the gear shifter as revs increase...best way to tell is disconnect the transaxle coupler...that will tell the tale.

just my 10 cents.
i think autozone and advanced auto parts sell the pinion bearings. are these difficult to change? all that you are mentioning describes my car.
i drive easy, but every once in a while shift fast and slightly pop the clutch.
i put in a used transmission which had 5,000 miles or so more than my original(blew out 3rd and gave it to nine44) and right away i noticed the constant whine.
at the time, i had also switched to mobil 1 which some people claimed could have been the whine-maker.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:21 AM
DanR 1201
Instructor

Also check the spline coupler that connects the torque tube shaft to the gearbox input shaft. Mine seemed tight but the bolts weren't sitting properly in their recesses. Once corrected the rattle was gone.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 PM
jstand22
Pro

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
i think autozone and advanced auto parts sell the pinion bearings. are these difficult to change? all that you are mentioning describes my car.
i drive easy, but every once in a while shift fast and slightly pop the clutch.
i put in a used transmission which had 5,000 miles or so more than my original(blew out 3rd and gave it to nine44) and right away i noticed the constant whine.
at the time, i had also switched to mobil 1 which some people claimed could have been the whine-maker.

Don't buy important parts for these cars at autozone and advanced auto parts. Contanct www.paragon-products.com or www.pelicanparts.com they should have them. I only buy oil, car wash and wax from autozone.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ring and pinion bearings are not a DIY at home kinda project...you should have a good understanding on how these transaxles are set up since the backlash needs to be set with a special tool.

a friend of mine sets the backlash by eye/feel when he does Honda trannys, and I'm sure you could do the same...it would be a time consuming job and you'd likely need a 2 ton press to push the bearings on properly.

I have my original S transaxle on my bench that I'm going to tinker with in my spare time...heck i may even try to replace the r & p. the bearings are not overly cheap though...so screw ups are costly...and a new r & p set is @ $6-800.

Quick Reply: Is this the 5th gear rattle?