Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eaton or Lysholm supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eaton or Lysholm supercharger?

Hi all,

Yes, another SC thread - maybe we should start a new forum!

I'm embarking on my supercharging project for my '86 NA, and am doing the usual research on parts. There are a couple of approaches taken by a number of other people, based on either the centrifugal style, and the ever-popular and available Eaton M90. I've read that a twin-screw Lysholm/Whipple is more efficient, and has the lesser amount of added heat to the air charge. In looking at pictures of the Lysholm unit used in Mazda Millenias, the only concern I have is the length. Does anyone know the dimensions of the unit?

Thanks,
Ross.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

I've seen it done before, I'd really have to look for the pictures. Someone mounted the millenia supercharger to the side of the engine in place of where the alternator is (alternator moves to where A/C compressor is, AC is deleted)

Lysholms and roots types will get you pretty much the same results in low to mid-range speeds. Where the lysholm shines is the upper limits of the engine's RPM range because how they compress the air allows the charge temperature to be much lower than that of a roots-type. Most of us want the M90 because they are abundant and cheap. Lysholms, good ones at least, are many thousands of dollars. With the supercharger off the Millenia I doubt you will see gains much different than those of the M90, simply due to the size of the Millenia's blower and the design it was built for.

Quick Reply: Eaton or Lysholm supercharger?