Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no heat, no A/C.....but blows air like crazy (and yes, I tried searching)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:52 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default no heat, no A/C.....but blows air like crazy (and yes, I tried searching)

Alright, took my whip for its 1st ride today after the head gasket....runs great, but damn, I swear my civic is faster HAHA. Anyway, I don't have heat, so I bled, and bled and bled and bled the coolant...Then tried the A/C...nothing. The fan works great, so I did some investigating. The upper slider works the defroster (which I have read is correct). The lower controls the heater valve under the hood (not correct), and the climate **** does nothing that I can tell. so I also get no air from the floor, which should be the lower slider.

What I think is someone (dumbass PO) screwed with the vaccum tubes to the HVAC.

Everyone agree or am I missing something? And, I have searched for a diagram for the correct vacuum routing but I can't find one. All I can find is engine vacuum diagrams. Can anyone direct me to the right diagram?\

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 AM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just one quick thing to make sure you bled the coolant with the heater on full blast right?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:41 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

yeah, absolutly. My driveway is pretty sloped. I bled it with the engine off, then engine running (heat on), then I made a few runs around the 'hood, making some quick turns (warming up the tires) to work the bubbles out, then back to the driveway to bleed some more.

At this point, I really think something is hooked up wrong. The lower slider shouldn't work the heat valve under the hood. That should be the temp/climate ****, right? Being that I have neither heat, or a/c I am assuming I have other problems. It just blows out room temp air at 100mph.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:45 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, I gotta bump myself... I can't find any info on how everything should work. All I can find is how to fix something if its broken. I don't believe anything on my car is broken, just not functioning properly
Old 04-13-2008, 07:06 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem with my 944, there is no way to stop air from coming in through the vents. It seems like the blower is stuck on. I am definatly in the weeds when it comes to climate control systems.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Yes, definatly. I'm reasonably sure (or was anyway) that I'm not a complete dumbass. Neither of the slider controls are marked, and I'm not sure how everything should work when you slide them. I can get defrost, and I can get air in my face, but I have nothing on the floor, and I know for sure that my bottom slider works my coolant heat valve under the hood.

My common sense tells me that the climate **** (with the blue and red dots) should work the coolant heat valve, but on my car it seems to do nothing.

Am I a moron that can't figure out the HVAC on my 25 year old car, or is it not functioning properly?!?! I have neither heat nor A/C but I'm almost sure they both "work", its just not directing the air to the proper places for me to feel it. I am also mostly sure I have bled my coolant system correctly, and completely. I cannot find anything on any site to tell me exactly how it should all be hooked up and work.

I really don't feel like ripping my whole dash apart to get at a plastic vaccum line, but I guess thats my next step.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since yours is a late 944, the 2 sliders only control air direction, the **** with the temperatures on it controls the heat. (I am assuming its the 85.5 944 in your sig since you didn't specify). The lower slider should do nothing at all for the heater valve. Check that with the **** on full hot the valve is in one position, and on full cold it is in the other (the arm extends from the body of the vacuum container on the valve). It's kind of warm back there, but if you can try to feel if that hose is even getting warm. I know nothing about the car, but is the heater core even connected?

If your valve is stuck closed, no amount of bleeding will got you heat (obviously), or get all the air out of the system. The sliders are electric, and the heater valve is the only vacuum operated bit in the late heater assembly. Don't rip the whole dash apart. If the heat works. it will come out whatever vents are open, no need to tear the dash apart at this point.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:59 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

The lower slider is moving the heater valve. It moves freely, I have checked. Lower slider to the left moves the valve one way, lower slider to the right moves the heater valve the other way.

The temp **** does nothing that I can see. How do I make the temp **** control the heater valve again? Both ends of the heater valve are hot, so I know the valve itself works.

yes, it is an 85.5 N/A
Old 04-14-2008, 04:02 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

PS.... this is a big reason I am confused.

Clarks garage says the same thing. The slider ***** work electric motors.....so how the hell is it working my heater valve? If I didn't spend the whole weekend watching my heater valve go in and out when I slide the lower slider, I wouldn't believe it either.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The slider should not move the heater valve AT ALL. Most of the time, the vacuum lines are hooked up in the wrong way after a head gasket job unless you do head gaskets all the time on a 944. The heater valve works off vacuum. You might have the lines reversed so recheck your vacuum lines with the diagram under the hood.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i got my car the heater core was bypassed. I guess the PO was getting too much heat because I found the heater clip was broken. Follow the thin metal pipe that runs along the exaust headers from the waterpump to the back of the engine. That pipe should have a hose attached to it that goes into the firewall to the passenger compartment. Mine had a hose that wrapped around the back of the engine and back into the engine, bypassing the heater. If this was done to your car, the correct hoses will most likely be just hanging back there.

Quick Reply: no heat, no A/C.....but blows air like crazy (and yes, I tried searching)