Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch / Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
gricec
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch / Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder ?

Hey

I am a first time poster and an absolute novice when it comes to mechanics.

I have a Black 84 944 which I have had for around 6 months.

Recently I had a problem where the clutch pedal just stuck to the floor. I released it with my hand it came back up but when pressed on again there was virtually no resistance all the wat to the floor. Then about 2-3 inches off the floor it would bite and you could change gear.

So I took it down to my local german mechanic and he told me that my clutch was failing and I needed a new clutch and subsequently quoted me 1800$ for installation of a clutch kit a master cylinder and slave cylinder.

However after looking at sites like this one, the consensus seems to be that the clutch pedal sticking to the floor is a master cylinder/ salve cylinder problem.

Can it be a clutch problem or is my mechanic pulling one on me.

If anyone can help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

Hi Chris, welcome to Rennlist - there are quite a few people with more knowledge that post here, but I might be able to get you started.

Do you have any documentation from the previous owner (PO) regarding if/when the clutch was replaced? Was the clutch slipping before you had the problem?

The symptoms you describe indicate a problem with the clutch hydraulics. The clutch uses brake fluid, and shares the resevoir with the brake system. Is there enough brake fluid in the resevoir to feed the clutch?

You can check 2 places for leaks. The first place is the carpet under the clutch pedal (reach up as far as you can and feel around). If there is any brake fluid there, then your master cylinder needs to be replaced. The second place is the clutch inspection plug on the bell housing (the car will need to be up in the air). If you remove it and brake fluid spills out, then the slave is bad (if you don't have the rubber inspection plug, you should be able to feel around for brake fluid).

If the clutch seemed to be working fine before your problem, then I would ask the mechanic to only replace the master and slave cylinders, and then re-evaluate to see if you really need a new clutch. The parts for the master and slave should be a couple hundred dollars, and it should only be a couple hours worth of labor.

Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
gricec
Pro

Thanks for the reply and for the welcome.

To be honest the fluid was low. I asked the mechanic about that and he said that it wouldnt be low if there wasnt a problem. I did check for leaks and coudnt find any.

Unfortunatley I do not have any Clutch specific records from the guy i bought it off. He had it around 12 years so it may be shot. I was thinking I might replace it anyway as I can just about afford it and at least then I would know it had be done.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replace the clutch master & slave and see how it goes. It's not as if you will save much in labor if the clutch does end up needing to be replaced (unlike having to replace a water pump just after a timing belt change)....
Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 AM
sayporsha
Pro

Welcome to Rennlist, Chris. My first Porsche was an 84 944 and I loved it.

If you need a clutch slave cylinder I have a new one, never installed, still in the Porsche box. $50 shipped. Send me a PM if interested.

Best of luck,
Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suspect something is wrong with either the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder as stated already. You might also want to check out the hydraulic clutch hose that goes down to the slave cylinder, I had one develope a pin size hole in it and quickly lost pedal pressure etc.

Also on a previous 944, I had the clutch go bad and actually got stuck on the floor. However in the weeks leading up to this problem you could hear and feel a problem with the throw out bearing until it finally went completely bad. You didn't mention anything like this so I doubt this is your problem, but I have seen it happen before.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:12 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome.

Probably the clutch master and/or slave as you have concluded. Mine did same thing last year when it was cold out. Replacing the clutch may or may not be necessary. Doing the cylinders first would be a logical progression to the end fix. $1800 isn't that bad depending on region so get used to it or learn to turn the wrenches. Not a good car to be a novice mechanic on unless you have deep pockets. The good thing is....you can quickly become a more experienced mechanic with help from here & Clark's Garage (online 944 resource), manuals, tools and a little confidence. Patience helps too.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

gricec, welcome to Rennlist.

Had the same thing happen to me Saturday afternoon.

Unfortunately, I was a long way from home.

Fortunately, I was able to start the car in first gear and managed to get it shifted into the higher gears w/o the clutch. Avoiding all towns and as many stop signs as possible, we got the car home.

Is the car fixed and what was the outcome?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Toran
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist Chris,

May be a good idea to replace the master and slave at the same time when doing this job.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Replace all three (Clutch master cylinder, Slave and hose). The average mechanic should be able to takle this job. The only real issue I ran into was getting into the tight footwell.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM
ballysdad
Instructor

DO yourself we will walk you through it.. Replace master/slave and upperhose..You will need them anyway if it is your clutch that is bad.. Basic hand tools is all you need..The clutch master is attatched to the firewall behind your brake booster to the right on the drivers side. Disconnect upperhose and remove the 2 nuts..Get under the footwell inside and follow the clutch pedal up and remove the c-clip that holds the arm of the master cylinder to free it from the pedal..Pull the master out from the front by tilting slightly upwards..Remove starter..remove 2 bolts and the clutchpipeline that is attached to the slave cylinder and its out. www.clarks-garage.com has a full write up with pictures..When you get that far come back and we will tell you how to reinstall and bleed system..
Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 AM
aben8057
Drifting

I also recall a thread where a fellow renny was able to access the clutch MS from above by removing the fuse box.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:19 PM
ballysdad
Instructor

The 84 NA isn't bad not nearly as much in the way as the 86+..both nuts can be accessed on the firewall with a rachet or long openend wrench. it is easier just to remove a few vaccum hoses from the top and push out of the way..

Quick Reply: Clutch / Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder ?