Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do glove box door stops stop against?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question What do glove box door stops stop against?

I just fitted new metal door stops on the glove box door, as one was broken and the other was probably going to break any day.

However, the stops don't seem to be catching on anything when the door is installed. The gaps they go into are outside the glove box compartment per se, so there appears to be something missing for them to catch on? TIA
Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luis- I did that a few years ago & I had to jiggle them into place before they started working. I've got my glove box out right now & I'm not sure WHAT they catch on- it might not be much of anything. If no one else comes through for you here, PM me & I'll take a bunch of pics for you- I have an airbag & a non-AB style glove box right here & I can take pics of the car w/out the box in it, if you need & maybe we can figure it out. all I do remember is, they had to be angled up in there, just right....
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Hi Robby,

I've been poking around in there after posting the thread and it appears that they don't catch anywhere on the glove box compartment itself -this is the non airbag version, btw.

The problem with my car, specifically, is that there seems to be some bolts missing! I noticed there's a metal frame on the outside of each gap with a hole where I suppose the bolts go through the gaps on each side for the door stops to catch against.

To compound things, it looks like these bolts should be M7 size metric and I've only found M6 and M8 sizes so far. I'm so fed up with this little stuff. It never ends!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know what you mean on the little things adding up... Ok, I just checked- I have two glove boxes here & one non-ab dash, recovered, but no car- have to look at it later- there are no bolts in my dash either & nothing to see on the edges of the gloveboxes. I'll have to look at my current dash, in my car, later, & since I have the glove box out, it should be easy- worst case, I'll go out to see the car tommorrow- best case, late tonight- will let you know what I find, if no one else comes through before me.... I'm glad you brought this up, though, b/c I seem to remember a slit in the edges, right beside the box, in the leather (or vinyl) of the dash- there are none in my recovered dash, so I guess I'll have to make some when I can get the dash to the car & line everything up right...
Old 04-02-2008, 03:05 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Luis, the glovebox door strap catches on a strip of metal with a cut-out that forms the housing for the fixed part of the glovebox. A picture tells a thousand words, even a cellphone picture (sorry for the quality):

Mike
Old 04-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike, I can see the strap in the picture but can't figure out the rest. Can you explain it some more? Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:15 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't quite tell from the pic, either- I did not get out to my car today, but plan to go tommorrow- I'll snap a pick or two when there- the dash I have here, really does not help, since it's been recovered- it's driving me nuts now, so I really want to know....
Old 04-03-2008, 01:51 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Are these any better:

Old 04-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Much better, many thanks! I'm trying to figure out in the pics what I'm missing that should hold up the stops.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, much better pics- Thanks a lot! Now it appears that there are at least TWO dif styles- is your's an air bag or non-AB? Mine is an airbag & is the one I'm enclosing pics of- the one I had recovered is NON-AB, looks more like the pics above. The one I'm enclosing pics of is in my car & you can see some gold clips- these things, I THINK, are there to PINCH the clips (glovebox checks) into place. The flat spot on the metal glovebox checks really does not hook onto anything- it seems, based on how it will sit when the glovebox door is locked in place, that it will just sit flat against the metal. You see, when the glovebox door is bolted on, the hinges will not allow it to pull further out or go back in- it's a set distance from the bottom & thus, the checks, are locked more into place. This is what I think- my door worked fine when I pulled it & I know I have not lost any bolts, etc & it's looking like I'll have to deal w/all this soon, so I hope alll this helps you & it all works out... Here are the pics... Let me know if you need any more help or explanation & I'll do my best...
Attached Images       
Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Bringing this thread back up from the archives, as I never got around to fixing this annoying problem because of a motorcycle accident I had shortly after starting this thread.

Robby, many thanks for helping me out with this and posting these photos.

Just to clarify, mine is a non-airbag dash. What is the 'wavy? yellow zinc clip attached to the glovebox frame in the bottom left hand photo? Could it be what holds the glove box door stoppers against the sides so they catch? I suspect I'm missing these clips...

Quick Reply: What do glove box door stops stop against?